DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ball valve that controls the water going to my yard which is off for the winter. Just past the shut off valve is a drain valve that I leave open when the shut off valve is closed. The drain valve is constantly dripping - about once per second. In previous years, I've had to back off the shut off handle a degree or two from the fully closed position to get it to fully close but this year, I just can't find the sweet spot. Before I replace the shut off valve, is there anything else I can try? Plumbing isn't really my thing, so if replacing it is my only option, I will likely need to find someone to do it for me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I have a ball valve that controls the water going to my yard which is off for the winter. Just past the shut off valve is a drain valve that I leave open when the shut off valve is closed. The drain valve is constantly dripping - about once per second. In previous years, I've had to back off the shut off handle a degree or two from the fully closed position to get it to fully close but this year, I just can't find the sweet spot. Before I replace the shut off valve, is there anything else I can try? Plumbing isn't really my thing, so if replacing it is my only option, I will likely need to find someone to do it for me.

Thanks.
Sharkbtry push on fittings require no soldering. Just cut the pipe and push them on. Will fit any type pipe. Available at any box store. If you never used them before, I recommend you go to their website first and view a couple how to videos before you do it for real. Just a suggestion.

Biggest mistake people make with sharkbtry fittings is they don't push them on far enough and they fail/leak. I've been using them for years, never had any problems. Some plumbers don't like them, as they make it easy for any homeowner to make the repair/fix the leak easy and fast.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sharkbtry push on fittings require no soldering. Just cut the pipe and push them on. Will fit any type pipe. Available at any box store. If you never used them before, I recommend you go to their website first and view a couple how to videos before you do it for real. Just a suggestion.

Biggest mistake people make with sharkbtry fittings is they don't push them on far enough and they fail/leak. I've been using them for years, never had any problems. Some plumbers don't like them, as they make it easy for any homeowner to make the repair/fix the leak easy and fast.
Thanks. There is only about 1/4" of pipe showing between the ball valve and a copper T connection. I'm guessing the sharkbite would need more than that to make a proper connection?

·
Naildriver
10,809 Posts
Is the valve pvc, cpvc, brass or other? The former two are worthless.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Thanks. There is only about 1/4" of pipe showing between the ball valve and a copper T connection. I'm guessing the sharkbite would need more than that to make a proper connection? so if replacing it is my only option, I will likely need to find someone to do it for me.
Without a picture to see what you have, and your limited knowledge of plumbing, perhaps you are right and should hire someone to do it for you.

·
Registered
9,076 Posts
One problem with replacing the valve in close quarters (with the T fitting and other pipe joints) is that you need to apply more heat for a longer time to do the solder joint. Plus the urge to clean off the old solder and and re-use an existing pipe end to fit into the new valve, further increasing the heat time. This can lead to damage to the new valve.

I have constructed seemingly useless loop-the-loops with pipe so that a valve could have fresh new pipe ends not too close to other joints going into it for a quicker soldering job with less heat.

I wish they had not outlawed electronic solder (60% tin 40% Lead) which melts at a lower temperature making it less likely to damage the components with excess heat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts