DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purcahsed a brick 2-flat with front balcony. I've included a photo.

There is drainage in the floor of the balcony, but the pipe that comes down and out of the ceiling of the first floor is straight and wide open (at left corner). Water appears to have collected at the first floor level and has caused some damage to the tile on the floor inside the entry way. The area is not damp at the moment, so I suspect this is probably related to winter snow and ice.

I'm fairly handy and think I can handle this repair myself, but I'm not sure what materials to use to replace the pipe and to extend it and redirect it away from the first floor landing area. Note, there is some tuckpointing that will have to be done in the near future, just not sure if it will happen this fall, but want to deal with the drainage before it causes more damage to the entryway.

Any pointers or suggestions are appreciated!

Attachments

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
What size is this pipe?
What is this pipe made of?
How much pipe protrudes into the first floor space?
Can it be diverted using two elbows and some downspout pipe?:)

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Need photos of the troubled area. Can't see any useful info from the photo posted.

Reactions: Bud Cline

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Better photo

Ok, So I have added a much better photo. This appears to be made of metal with about a 3 inch diameter. The previous connection was diverted away from the entry way, so it looks like we just need to put in a new connection. Not sure what materials to use, especially any adhesive. Temperatures have already dropped in the region, although we have not had any snow or ice yet.

Note this is the pipe coming out of the roof of the landing, a good 6 to 7 inches of the pipe is missing (has rotted away).

Attachments

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Is that a sleeve that passes thru the concrete and then the drain pipe passes thru the sleeve. Wishful thinking on my part maybe but that's what it looks like it could be. What about one more picture from the topside showing the drain configuration?:)

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
If the scupper is clogged up, and the floor is not sloped properly, it would be one of many causes. Post a picture showing not only the corner that the drain is in, but if you have a ladder, get as high up on it as you can, and take a photo of the whole view facing down towards the floor of the balcony.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a metal pipe that has been painted. I don't believe it's a sleeve. There's nothing in place at the top, it's all rotted away.
I was thinking we should use something at top, vented to keep debris and leaves out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the follow ups. I'm not planning on repairing or working with any of the existing pieces in place to fix this issue, my intent is to use all new material - including what ever was upstairs. If a photo of upstairs is still required, I will have to try to get up there this weekend. Thanks again!

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
jshay, if that is a concrete balcony, that means that even if you place a smaller diameter piece in there, it can amount to water pooling, while waiting to drain. Best to talk to someone that is used to working on older homes, and can help you to keep it period, vs. putting in new pieces that do not look correct.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.