DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
It's not clear which part you're referring to. There is a little sloppy cutting of the wall tiles around the niche (I normally build my niches so the edges line up with the natural grout lines). There is a little sloppy grouting. I don't like leaving grout lines on the bottom of a niche, or as few as possible (you better hope that niche is well waterproofed behind.) The black trim tile isn't mitered or anything. But it doesn't look terrible.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
The tiny rows of tile in the back of the niche are wrong. Should have adjusted the height to suit the tile. Other than than ... like jeff says it looks "normal".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for the feedback, I suppose my main concern was the black edging. I’m slowly working my way around the shower cleaning up some grout haze and lines. Wasn’t sure if there was anything I could do to improve this part. Considered trying to paint the grout between the edging black but perhaps that would be making it worse

·
Registered
24 Posts
You could get some "pencil" tiles to trim it out with. thats what i used.

Ivy Hill Tile Catalina 12" x 0.75" Ceramic Pencil Liner Tile Trim in Green | Wayfair

Just an example, i get mine from a local tile shop. but there pretty cheap and easy to work with. I'd angle grind off 1/4" or so of te black tile, and then find a pencil tile the width of the tile, or you could work out from the nook and try to hide any impefections with the same almond colored grout you got there.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
The tiny rows of tile in the back of the niche are wrong. Should have adjusted the height to suit the tile..
Yeah I agree, I almost mentioned that. I think what he did was install the back tile first, then install the shelf tile. That's actually the normal order to do it but in this case he didn't account for the small mosaic along with the thick shelf tile.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
You could get some "pencil" tiles to trim it out with. thats what i used.

Ivy Hill Tile Catalina 12" x 0.75" Ceramic Pencil Liner Tile Trim in Green | Wayfair

Just an example, i get mine from a local tile shop. but there pretty cheap and easy to work with. I'd angle grind off 1/4" or so of te black tile, and then find a pencil tile the width of the tile, or you could work out from the nook and try to hide any impefections with the same almond colored grout you got there.
If the black trim is your problem, this is probably one of the better options to add on top without ripping it out.

·
Naildriver
12,833 Posts
I would give the mosaic background tile not even a second thought. Too much emphasis is being placed there. Note nothing the installer could do would have matched the grout lines of the mosaic to the subway. One line is 1/8", the one above it is almost 1/4", so it would have been an effort of futility to try that. The poor grout cleaning job is another story, however.

It could be that a dab of black silicone smoothed out at the corners of the metal strips would make it go away. I'd try something like that before I either tore it out or added an albatross to the surface.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
The biggest thing to me is the sloppy grout job. Second is the fact that it looks (could be mistaken) like the plane changes were grouted instead of caulked. If it really bothered me, I'd scrape the offending grout off the tile faces.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I would give the mosaic background tile not even a second thought. Too much emphasis is being placed there. Note nothing the installer could do would have matched the grout lines of the mosaic to the subway.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that (I'm not even quite sure what you're saying, because what you seem to be saying is impossible.) We're just saying there doesn't need to be a tiny sliver of mosaic at both the bottom and the top. By shifting down the mosaic tile a quarter inch, you'd eliminate the sliver at the bottom, and create a larger partial piece at the top, but also the top edge tends to be less visible, so it's a win/win/win.

·
Naildriver
12,833 Posts
I normally build my niches so the edges line up with the natural grout lines
I was just going by your words, thinking you could line up the grout lines, which you can't.

It looks as if the OP was trying to make it equidistant from all sides. I agree, whole tile at bottom and whatever at top.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I was just going by your words, thinking you could line up the grout lines, which you can't.
What I was trying to say was the grout lines on the outside of the niche. I build the niche size so that to top of the niche lines up with a grout line on the wall, and the bottom of the niche does as well. Nothing can be done with the accent tile of course.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m not terrible concerned about the back tile. It’s a prefab book that was tiled. I was more concerned about the black metal strips. The black silicone sounds like it might not be a bad idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts