DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an old (very old) Lennox AC. The outside fan starts for a few seconds, appears to be spinning fine - with no alarming noise, but then shuts off. This recurs over and over if the AC is left on. If the fan is running, does that mean the compressor is running? How do I know if the compressor is bad or a capacitor is bad. If capacitor, how do I know if it's the run capacitor or the start capacitor?
I'd appreciate any help. Too cheap to buy a new unit if I can help it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You could be cycling on one of your limits, high or low. High pressure safety, could be a dirty condensor, lots of heat at the outdoor unit. Low pressure safety, could be low refrigerant charge.

If the motor or compressor were bad, one or the other would continue to run, and you would hear it. Both are energized by the same relay, or contactor. If both are coming on and off together, its probably a safety.

Clean the condensor as best you can. If it needs refrigerant, you will have to call a service co..

Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could be cycling on one of your limits, high or low. High pressure safety, could be a dirty condensor, lots of heat at the outdoor unit. Low pressure safety, could be low refrigerant charge.

If the motor or compressor were bad, one or the other would continue to run, and you would hear it. Both are energized by the same relay, or contactor. If both are coming on and off together, its probably a safety.

Clean the condensor as best you can. If it needs refrigerant, you will have to call a service co..

Good luck.
Thanks for the help. I guess there is still hope.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts