DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a macclean model 3P972 backwashing filter. when it backwashes it drains the waterlines from the house such that when i open faucets in the morning after the filter has completed it's backwash cycle i have air shoot through the faucets( lot's of fun at 6am when your not expecting it). is there something wrong with the backwash cycle valve or is this normal with a backwash filter. if so i will put in a check valve, but i have this in a summer cottage that i drain the water from in the winter. so if i do need a check valve is there a type of check valve that can be opened so i can drain house water lines in winter. thanks for any advice

·
Water Treatment
1,087 Posts
If the valve has a time with in the backwash cycle that is like the softeners brine draw/slow rinse then there could be air getting into the media tank and not leaving when it does the rapid rinse but is there when you open a facet.
If this is the first time that the unit has done this then there is some thing wrong with the control.

From what I have found the valve is the Fleck 5600 filter set up, some place on that valve there is air getting in while in backwash or that the well is running short of water and pumping air.
Look for leaks around the valve body.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the unit has done this since new. i use it as a sediment filter and i am considering also putting in a water softener and 4.5"x20" big blue charcoal filter. if i place the water softener after the sediment filter will this help the back wash issue?
also will i have enough pressure after going through sediment filter (rated service 5gpm) then through softener and finally through charcoal? i'm worried i'll have nice water but at a trickle in the house after i hook it all up.
thanks for the advice thus far

·
Water Treatment
1,087 Posts
How is it draining the water from the house lines when it backwashes? Facets open?
NO.... the facets are closed so there is little to no water moving back to the system when it is cleaning, but rather some place between the well, pitless and the house is where the air is getting in and building up in the system and then getting to a point that makes its way to the facets after it has done a backwash cycle.
Putting a softener is not going to fix that, the leak has to be fixed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts