DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have installed a battery backup sump pump for peace of mind should my primary pump go out. We are leaving the country for a few weeks starting tomorrow, and I wanted a backup solution in place. I've attached a drawing of how I installed it. I have two primary concerns/questions.
1. After installing I realized that the check valve for the primary pump should have come before the "Y" connector. Being that the backup pump should only run if the primary fails or in a power failure. I doubt I will have time to change this before leaving. Is this a major problem?
2. There was limited space to install the backup so I had to place it above the primary. My concern is that the float will not get high enough until water has filled my drain tile. Is this a major problem?

Edit: I've updated the attached photo to show the position of both check valves.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
381 Posts
In your set-up your back-up pump will do a good job of pumping water out of the top of your sump pit to the bottom of the pit. The back-up will not pump any water out of the pit. Move the primary check valve so it does not allow back flow of water.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts