DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My back yard slopes down 3 feet in a 1:2 ratio from my house. From the neighbors it slopes 3:1. I get a flooded area the entire length of the back yard over 200 feet. I have removed many trees. How do I get the water out without causing water damage to my house or neighbors? French drain? More dirt/sand/loam? Mosquitos, frogs have made a home here.
Lisa

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Not sure how anyone can make suggestions without some pictures so we can see what your seeing.
Most common way is to raise the grade in the low area.

Reactions: Lisa&RayFrench

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I advertised on craigslist for some dirt. A guy responded and delivered a bunch of dirt right to my driveway. It looked really nice at first, but after a few rains rinsed the soil down, you could see a bunch of rocks and broken glass. Some weeds are starting to grow in it, but the grass seed died right away. In retrospect, that soil could have all kinds of chemicals in it or be radioactive or who knows what. But it was free. :) The guy was doing a big DIY paver project at his house and he just had all this extra dirt that he couldn't get rid of. Seemed legit.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Is there anywhere you could send the water? There is such a thing as an outdoor sump pump. Usually they are just used next to the foundation because they are cheaper to install than the indoor variety. But in your situation, maybe some kind of pump is the way to go.

Or just plant some water-loving plants and call it a feature.

·
Master General ReEngineer
10,203 Posts
I get a flooded area the entire length of the back yard over 200 feet. I have removed many trees. How do I get the water out without causing water damage to my house or neighbors?
Ayuh,..... Simple, Lower the grade at the lower end of the area,....

Water flows downhill, ya just gotta remove the dam, 'n let it flow,...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.