DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house was built in 1905 and the back door is an odd size. Its old and beat up, I wanted to put a steel door in but wasnt sure if i could cut the door down. The door is 75 inches tall and 29 5/8 wide. I wanted to put a 36" door.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
you would have to open the wall and install a new longer header and new king studs and jack studs at 81-81-1/2 the door instructions should tell you the rough opening size. if its a load bearing wall you will need to support the ceiling joists with a temporary wall while you reframe the opening.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I shouldve mentioned that I cant put a taller door in, the door way goes from the floor to almost the roof. Thats why I wanted to know if I could cut the door down.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I guess I shouldve mentioned that I cant put a taller door in, the door way goes from the floor to almost the roof. Thats why I wanted to know if I could cut the door down.
You can order metal doors cut to size within limited parameters. Doing it yourself would not be my choice.
Check with the local lumberyard.
Ron

·
A door a day is all I ask
103 Posts
Hi there,
I think a fiberglass door would be the better choice.
No rust, no dents and looks nicer.
You could get a 30 x80" door. They come in at about 29 13/16 x 79.
Cut it down in height a put in new bottom (or top) and you can plane a
little off the sides to get down to your width.

As Danny said the wider door will require new header and reframing.

Best of luck with the project!
RC/DG

·
old guy contractor
872 Posts
Pocket doors are not designed for exterior applications.
Steel doors rust over time.
Fiberglass is a good choice as well as another new wood door.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Why not take into consideration the Pocket doors? I bet it will look good on your unussual size door.
Please let us know how you would frame a pocket door opening in an exterior load bearing wall.
Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts