DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I need to replace the top section of my chimney vent due to rust near the cap, and have been told that I must use b vent pipe from the same manufacturer to ensure a good connection between pipe sections. Is this true? Are there adapters that can be used to connect different brands?

I've also heard that any b vent pipes are compatible, so you can understand my confusion.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a pic of one of the connections of the pipe in question (sorry for the quality - this was the only angle I could get).

On the female side, there are three slots that appear to align with tabs on the male side (you can see one on the left of the pic). Is anyone familiar with this brand of b vent pipe?

· Registered
2,880 Posts
If you don't use the same fittings they don't lock together properly. Now the cap may just slide over the end I'm not sure of what type setup you have. You could switch to another brand if you used an adjustable collar but if the only thing bad is the cap why not get the correct one and be done with it

· Hvac Pro
25,124 Posts
I get a local chimney repair company (Wpg chimney service) to replace them. Most have a clamp device to hold the sections together. You may end up replacing the whole chimney if you cannot find the manufacturers label and contact them for parts/sections.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get a local chimney repair company (Wpg chimney service) to replace them. Most have a clamp device to hold the sections together. You may end up replacing the whole chimney if you cannot find the manufacturers label and contact them for parts/sections.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to avoid having to replace the whole chimney, but I realize that might happen. There's no clamp on this model - just the interlocking tabs as mentioned.

I had a roof guy here, and he said it looks like an emco, but they seem to just be a distributor. Anyone familiar with them?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you don't use the same fittings they don't lock together properly. Now the cap may just slide over the end I'm not sure of what type setup you have. You could switch to another brand if you used an adjustable collar but if the only thing bad is the cap why not get the correct one and be done with it
I'm going to have to get a new cap as well, so that won't be an issue. So an adjustable collar to connect different brands of pipe is a possible solution?

· Registered
2,880 Posts
I'm going to have to get a new cap as well, so that won't be an issue. So an adjustable collar to connect different brands of pipe is a possible solution?
Well you can switch to different type vents with an adjustable collar but I'll try to explain. If the first two sections were bvent coming from lets say the furnace. You would have to have a bvent adjustable collar to switch to another type vent. It has to be that way so they can tie together. The coupling slides over the male end of the next fitting. All I ever use is bvent fittings. Not that they are any better, just the most common here.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well you can switch to different type vents with an adjustable collar but I'll try to explain. If the first two sections were bvent coming from lets say the furnace. You would have to have a bvent adjustable collar to switch to another type vent. It has to be that way so they can tie together. The coupling slides over the male end of the next fitting. All I ever use is bvent fittings. Not that they are any better, just the most common here.
It's all b vent - the section I'm replacing is b vent, and I'll be replacing it with the same.

· Registered
14 Posts
So , the roofer guy said he thinks it might be Emco ? I dont think Emco has thier own brand of b vent. He might of been thinking about Ecco. If you could post a picture of the rain cap , I may be able to tell you . It does not really look like Ecco though . If you could find a sticker on it somewhere....

· Registered
14 Posts
If you could post a clear pic of the rain cap including the top portion of the termination section above the roof, would definitely make it easier to identify. There were only a hand full of common b vent brands in use in Calgary and the surrounding areas over the last 58 or so years and I am some what familiar with most of them. The ran cap in particular should tell me. Include the age of your home may be of some help too.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Greg, thanks for the info. I was only able to snap a pic from the ground last night, but I'll get a better one this weekend if you need it. I believe the house was built in the late 50s, but the furnace is more like 20 years old, so it's likely they replaced the chimney at that time too.

· Registered
17,817 Posts
but the furnace is more like 20 years old, so it's likely they replaced the chimney at that time too.
If it cost mores than a couple hundred bucks to do this repair, you should consider ditching the b-vent, putting in a condensing furnace - funds permitting.

The furnace and water heater are probably on borrowing time - just throwing good money after bad.

· Hvac Pro
25,124 Posts
The truth is in Canada when you need a new furnace you will have to get a high efficiency furnace which does not use a chimney. No more 80% efficient units allowed. Must be 92 or 95% efficient or higher. However if you plan to keep using a regular water heater you need a chimney. But you can run a 4" single wall liner inside that one and have it poke out the top.

Running a elec water heater may be very expensive as I lived in Calgary and elec is expensive. In MB it is less than 8c/kwh so we use lots of them.

That chimney looks original to the house. Takes over 30 years B4 it gets that rusty.

· Registered
17,817 Posts
Direct vent sealed combustion water heater out the side if practical, no chimney to worry about, near zero monoxide risk, no draft hood venting your hard earned heated air outside constantly.

Best water heater type available - every other type has disadvantages. Not the most efficient - there are some efficient tank and tankless units, but efficiency is gained at the expense of needing electricity and having lots of expensive parts to fail.

B-vents and chimneys are going obsolete for gas fired equipment and I say good riddance.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.