DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm remodeling a 40 year old cabin in East Texas (Zone 8) that previously didn't have any insulation in the walls nor was it conditioned. The exterior is board and baton siding with Roofing felt as a WRB. No external sheathing is present under the WRB. I'm filling the stud bays with Rockwool. We're going to use pine shiplap on most of the exterior walls and I'm trying to decide what to place behind the shiplap. I was considering Thermo ply for some added wall strength and taping it, but I'm worried about moisture getting trapped in the stud bays and mold growing. I've seen 1/2 gypsum board recommended behind shiplap but would like to skip the floating and taping (or hiring someone to do it). Any thoughts on the thermo ply? Is that a disaster waiting to happen? Thanks, ST

·
Naildriver
12,789 Posts
Rockwool is a good choice as it is fireproof, vermin proof, water proof, mold proof, and requires no vapor barrier. However if your felt is not held by anything but studs on the outside, it may be an infiltration source for moisture, since the seams are not sealed.

You don't want to trap the moisture between the stud bays by adding a moisture barrier on the inside. I would let it breathe, but others may have different opinions, so give it time for more answers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts