DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a new Prestige THX9321R5000 Stat with wireless OD sensor on XL14i HP, with 15kw of Aux at AH. It is configured with an ODTa on condensor to call for Aux Heat on defrost cycle if temp < 35*. However, the Stat locks out Aux Heat if temp > 30*.
Was wondering will the new stat override the condensor call for Aux during a defrost if say 32*? or does it not effect the call for aux from condenser?

Thx

·
Banned
14,506 Posts
It depends on the efficiency of your HP. I think yours is only a 14 seer but your part of the world isn't killer cold, so I'm not even sure I would set a realistic compressor lock out. Maybe set it a -15C just in case.

The heat strips are another story. I would lock those out as low as you can. Maybe -5C and see what happens.

You'll end up having to play around a little anyway once you get used to the new stat, so I would set those numbers for now and see how it goes.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Bob,

At what temps do you have your lockouts set:

Compressor?
Aux?
There thermostat will only call for aux heat when it's needed or you manually raise the temperature.

Lock them out below 32f and you may be cold - really depends on the capacity of heatpump relative to heat loss. Would go for 40f myself.

The strips shouldn't be locked out at all during defrost cycles. There should be a wire from W1 on the defrost board leading to the aux heat terminal with nothing in between. You want the strips coming on to prevent a cold draft during defrost.

I would probably lock out the heatpump at 15f or so. Below that you won't get much heat out of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.