DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 model Aurora Diesel Portable Generator with a brushless generator. The problem I am having is it puts out electricity at 49 to 54 HZ. I have tried to raise the diesel rpms but have had no luck. The company advised I replace the capaciter which I have, No change. Can anyone recomend anything or in the area of central Kentucky, someone I can get who can work on this generator for me ? This is agravating ! it has 15.1 hours on it. I am not sure that it ever ran at 60 Hertz.

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
Frequency should be controlled by the speed of the diesel. Normal RPM of diesel generator is 1800RPM.
Is the loaded or unloaded frequency. Adding some load could stabilize it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Generator problems

Hello, I have a 3600 rpm portable generator (Sorry I did not mention that). The rpm range is 3420. I do not know how to raise the rpm's over what the govenor base movement gives you. I tried removing shims from the feul pump but wound up with black smoke so I put it back (It had three shims).

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
If the generator's running at 3420 rpm, the output should be 57 Hz, not 49-54 Hz. That's usually close enough for any load except maybe electronics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Generator RPM

Hello md2lgy, The accuracy of the equipment I was using might be the problem with that number, I got a range and just showed the average. I am just trying to find a way to raise the rpm.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Gotcha. I was a generator mechanic in the military for a lot of years, and even the smallest (2KW) units had some form of manual speed adjustment. But a lot of "civilian" units (perhaps most) do not. I have a 3KW RV generator, and it has no adjustable speed control. What you really need is a manual for your unit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Do you really need 60Hz? Most electronics will tolerate 50Hz just fine.... but clocks will run slower.

I say don't fuss with it too much unless you really, really need 60Hz.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
60 hz

Hello, In my situation, I noticed I had a problem during a 6 hour power outage. We first noticed the microwave was not warming up nrmal items. I went to the basement and noticed the flourescent fixture light was having trouble coming on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts