DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quick tid bit: I bought my ATV used and did not do any of the wiring on it. Yesterday while plowing my driveway I lost power to my winch. After some diagnostic testing with a multimeter I noticed a little red wire that was tucked behind one of my front tires and broke...looked a bit suspect to me!

I followed the wire and found that it belongs to my winch's handlebar switch relay. The switch has one main wiring harness running from it with three wires inside (green, black, and red). The green and black run to the solenoid under the seat and for the life of me I cannot find where the red wire connected to. I'm not sure if it ran somewhere towards the front of the wheeler or if the wire just pulled out that far. The solenoid is towards the back. I look everywhere I could get to without a complete breakdown of all the plastic on the ATV. I have looked for wiring schematics for winch systems without a definitive answer. I am unsure if the red (positive) should run to the ignition wire, to the positive terminal on the solenoid, or straight to the terminal on the battery? I am attaching an image I found. If you can imaging the red wire breaking before the ignition wire, that's my situation...I cut off part of the diagram that is unnecessary for my situation as it included an remote control portion which I do not have.

I did a quick fix and crimped on a ring terminal and ran it straight to my battery so I could finish plowing. Based on the diagram I feel that the red wire runs to the ignition wire to prevent it from being hot without the key on? My question is can I leave it running straight to the battery terminal? Should I run it somewhere else (ignition wire or solenoid)? I do not want to damage or fry anything. There is no inline fuse but I could install one. Some diagrams show one and some do not.

Thanks ahead of time for any input.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
JMHO, but I'd leave it connected to the battery but add an in-line fuse of 5 amps. That way if anything goes foul in the winch control system, it won't disturb the vehicle electrical and possibly put you afoot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts