DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Retired
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandsons ATV is having fuel running problems and I found a hose from under the choke that connects to nothing. He has broken numerous parts off the ATV and been able fix them but this hose has be stumped because I can’t see any purpose for it.
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive fuel system Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
568 Posts
It appears to be a drain hose for the carburetor bowl. You can open up the drain and the fuel in the bowl will drain out the hose, and not all over the ATV.

·
Retired
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears to be a drain hose for the carburetor bowl. You can open up the drain and the fuel in the bowl will drain out the hose, and not all over the ATV.
Oh WOW thanks, I wondered about that but never seen that before. I'll have to figure out how to drain it because the boys siphoned gas out of an old lawnmower before it stopped running and it may just be bad gas.

·
Retired
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like the fuel shut off valve is in the off position
Yes I usually keep it in the off position when not in use.

I can't find any drain screw, but right now the tube is leaking and I have a container on the floor to catch all the fuel. I think the boys may have moved the choke too far cracking the diaphragm. The tank was full when this all happened and I'm having trouble pulling the fuel line off to drain it without it breaking. I may have to replace the whole carburetor at this point.

·
In a little over my head
1,383 Posts
That looks like a Chinese made ATV. Usually, the fuel drain is a screw in the float bowl, as mentioned above. But sometimes, if there's no drain screw, and the carb is a common one used on scooters, the fuel drain screw is in the end of the hose.

·
Retired
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks like a Chinese made ATV. Usually, the fuel drain is a screw in the float bowl, as mentioned above. But sometimes, if there's no drain screw, and the carb is a common one used on scooters, the fuel drain screw is in the end of the hose.
Ok, that makes sense because it is a Chinese ATV and there is a spring clamp at the end of the hose which led me to believe the hose was connected to something in the first place. Now I think something fell off the end of the hose.
It did finally stop leaking and the tank is still full, but I don't know why it started to leak in the first place. It started to leak after I moved the choke handle down to allow room to pull off the fuel line to drain the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts