DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ice dams are horrible this year. I live in IA. I have no overhangs. I have 2 parts of the house. The original and the addition. They both need insulation (this year). The orig. has vents @ either end of the gables facing W & E. They are attached. The addition is S facing and has 2 roof vents. What kind I do not know. The flat square ones you see most often. The insulation is batted. I will be adding blown in on top. I have dams on the addition, both sides. Water has come inside. I pulled back the insulation in order to let the area dry. I need to put the insulation back because it is only adding to the problem right?

My question is what should I do to address proper ventilation? I will be adding more insulation. Is there a known figure regarding venting vs. sq. ft.? If so what is it?

Do I need to reseal my roof and shingles come spring to address the ice dam damage?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can not post pics I broke my camera.

I was looking for a personal opinion in regards to smart vents-has anyone used them? Do they really help or is it a gimmic? I wonder if they hurt the roof considering you have to open in up in order to vent.

Sq ft. of the attic-unsure. I have roughly a 1000 sq house. The gabled area is around 6 ft @ the highest point. The addition is around 4 ft. The area of the main house is roughly 27 x 27. The addition 27 x 14. There is probably @ least 7 ft. of overlapping roof. The areas connect via two holes that are probably 16 in. by 3 ft. Tight fit. Is it possible that this is a factor?

Thanks guys-any input is help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.