DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I am looking to install additional ventilation in my attic to decrease the temperature during the summer months and to remove stale air ( I dont think I have an issue with moisture)... The volume of the attic space is approximately 1750 cu ft (32ft L, 22ft W, 5ft H).. The volume is actually a bit less, since the roof is sloped on all four sides, not just two. There are soffits installed, but no soffit vents, and there is a gable vent w/ mesh screen at the front of the house. The gable vent is roughly 16in x 16in, which would give me about 1.8 sq ft of intake/exhaust area (minus a few points from the screen).. I know that I will have to install soffit vents if I install an attic fan, but what I would like to know is if I should install the soffit vents first and see if that alone would give me the desired airflow, before going ahead with attic fan installation.. I would also like to know if a 1000 cfm fan would be overkill for such a small attic space, especially since it is not airtight.. Going by the attic size calculations, to perform 10 air exchanges in an hour in a 1750 cu ft space (17500 cfh), I would need only a 300 cfm fan (17500/60).. I also have an old chimney which has some cracks in the bricks, so I do not want to start pulling air from unwanted areas... Also, ridge vents are not an option for me... If you need any more information, please let me know.. I can also provide pictures as well.. Thank you in advance..

- Joe

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Don't want to sound rude:no:, but myself and others have typed ALOT of posts about this exact topic. Do a search on this site for ridge vent, attic venting, etc. Take a read, jot down some notes, and then post back if you've got a specific question afterwards. I know for a fact there is all sorts of information on here are ventilation requirements and options.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts