DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

I want to add a simple attic light and use a nearby ceiling fan for a power source. Obviously I will be able to see the ceiling box from the attic but can I access the wiring from the attic without taking down the fan from the room?

·
Super Moderator
8,866 Posts
Not really.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
HI,

I want to add a simple attic light and use a nearby ceiling fan for a power source. Obviously I will be able to see the ceiling box from the attic but can I access the wiring from the attic without taking down the fan from the room?
I say you will have to take the fan down to access the wiring for a run to this attic light. Have you gone up in the attic to see what kind of box there is for the fan?

Will you be adding a switch to control this new attic light or will it be controlled by the switch for the fan?

·
Banned
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I say you will have to take the fan down to access the wiring for a run to this attic light. Have you gone up in the attic to see what kind of box there is for the fan?

Will you be adding a switch to control this new attic light or will it be controlled by the switch for the fan?
All Im doing is adding a simple pull chain light. By the way when you run a light through a switch, which im not doing, don't you need a line in wire and then a load wire coming out of the switch? How did you do it just using one wire and the neutral as hot?

·
Banned
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess this would be correct if he cut into the cable going to the fan and installed a junction box. Provided it is not a switch leg.
If I cant access the wiring from the fan through the ceiling box and i just cut the wire in half and then splice back together in a junction box will that work and then I can run my power to my new attic light from that box?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
So you have only switched power going to the fan. You cannot power a pull chain light with that from the fan location.

EDIT...you can, but in order for the pull chain light to have power, the fan switch would have to be on.

·
Banned
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you have only switched power going to the fan. You cannot power a pull chain light with that from the fan location.

EDIT...you can, but in order for the pull chain light to have power, the fan switch would have to be on.
I dont understand. If I cut into the wire to the ceiling fan and then pigtail it back together in a junction box then run my power from that box to power the light why would my ceiling fan switch in my bedroom have to be on?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I dont understand. If I cut into the wire to the ceiling fan and then pigtail it back together in a junction box then run my power from that box to power the light why would my ceiling fan switch in my bedroom have to be on?

This is your before setup with power into the switch box, then to the fan.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
This would be your after setup if you cut into the cable that is leaving the switch to the fan.

The wire in this cable is a switched HOT. Look at the diagram.

Look at the blue junction box, each "black" wire shown in there is only HOT when the switch is on. Do you not see that??

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts