DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm a newbie here (first post). I purchased a home last year that the previous owner added a roof to the porch to create a 4 seasons room. The room's nice, but unfortunately adding the roof took away the soffit vents for a 20 foot section of my raised ranch (the top of the porch's roof perfectly meets the bottom shingles of the original roof, leaving no fascia board). The rest of the attic is ventilated via ridge vents and soffit vents.

The result of this is mold growing on the underside of the roof decking in only this 20 foot section of the attic...the housing inspector (and I) didn't catch this...:( I'm not sure why the contractor or owner who installed the porch's roof didn't worry about this...

What would be the best way to provide intake airflow to this 20 foot section of the roof? I can't use fascia vents (no fascia), but have seen SmartVent by DCI products (I can't send links in my first post).

Would these be the best, or is there a better method (less shingling to do)? I'm a pretty handy guy, but have only done one small roofing job myself (adding stove exhaust through roof). Should I simply hire someone? Even if I do, I'd like to know your opinions on different methods before talking to a contractor who may not have my best interest in mind.

BTW, I'm in Massachusetts, so we do get a good amount of snow and ice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Labor

Thanks, Windows on Wash.

Do you think it would be tricky to shingle over these DCI SmartVents:

[you'll have to search for them online yourself...DCI SmartVent...as I still cannot put a link here]

For example, would I have to re-shingle an entire 20' section of my roof since I would need to replace the bottom few rows of shingles?

As far as static intake vents: Do you have a rule-of-thumb on how many static vents per length of roof would be good in my situation? Ideally, I'd want a single intake between each rafter to have more even flow, but that would seem to be expensive and overkill (10 vents for a 20 foot section!). Would one intake per two or three rafters be okay?

I know any flow is better than the situation I have right now, but also want to ensure this wouldn't cause any red flags in the case I sell my house and the buyer is more experienced and has a sharper home inspector. Would static intakes through the roof raise red flags? I know a bunch of mold would!

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts