DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to locate an access hatch for my attic.
I need one that fits 14" between joists (16" OC?) - the only one I have located is the "Sealin' Hatch" - but i am located in Canada and have not yet found a retailer.
Anyone in Canada found a source for this item?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Wow that's a small hatch...get a stereotypical repair man and he'll get stuck...

Is there a reason you don't want to re-frame the small area to get a hatch in there that will accomodate a human w/ toolbag?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that's a small hatch...get a stereotypical repair man and he'll get stuck...

Is there a reason you don't want to re-frame the small area to get a hatch in there that will accomodate a human w/ toolbag?
Main reason at this time - I'm not sure how to do the reframing myself and maintain the integrity of the joists. Tracking down someone with the right skills might be a challenge right now but I haven't ruled it out.

The 14" between joists is not totally impossible - but the hatch I currently have is 14" in BOTH directions. That IS tight! Hence my question - the hatch model I'm looking for is 22.5" wide.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
That is about how big the scuttle hatch is into my attic. Personally I would like it a little bigger, but since it sits in the pantry, I am leaving it as is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've used plastic bubble skylights to create a roof hatch cover. Build a small frame to which the skylight is attached. Flash the frame-install the skylight to the frame. Build a roof curb-flash it. Use spring-loaded buckles to attach the skylight/frame assembly to the curb, using a 1-1/2" x 1/4" foam seal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts