DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to repaint a bedroom that used to be part of our attic. It is large with lots of angles and is not well lighted. We have a bottom portion that is about 3' all the way around with the walls angled upward. I would love to use a coastal blue color. I am thinking of a deeper blue on the upper walls, a gray blue on the lower portion and white ceiling. Ideas? thoughts? Am I way off base here?
Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's hard to judge whether it will look nice. Do you have a picture of the room that you could share?

Given that it's not well lit, I would recommend going with a lighter color. The deeper blue that you mention may be too dark and will make the room look smaller and more confined than it actually is, but that is just my recommendation. At the end of the day it will come down to your personal preference.

The other question is what will you be using the room for? Some colors may be more suitable for certain uses than others...

·
Registered
37,430 Posts
As a rule if I'm doing a two tone wall I use the darker color at the bottom and lighter at the top.
Make's the room look taller to the eye.
A lighter color will also not show the flaws as much.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Yes, normally darker colors go on bottom, lighter ones on top.

Sometimes a darker room can feel very cozy, or sometimes it can feel confined. Depends on lighting and personal preference. If you're concerned about too dark a color, it might be because you don't want things to get too pastelle-y. In that case substitute more muted colors.

Example, you are looking at this color.
http://www.behr.com/consumer/colors/paint?color=550B-7#paint

But that seems like too dark or "too much blue". So you slide down the color palette to a lighter color, which would be this one.
http://www.behr.com/consumer/colors/paint?color=550B-5#paint

But that's just too girly and primary-color, so instead of going lighter, you go more gray, and head over to that area of the color palette where you might end up with something like this instead, which is obviously more understated and sophisticated.
http://www.behr.com/consumer/colors/paint?color=540E-3#paint

It suggests the color without ramming it down your throat.

Way too many people end up with the middle choice, when they really should be off looking in the grays somewhere. But again, if you personally love that color, then go for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have uploaded a picture of the room. There are 2 other rooms to the side. One is a second, much smaller bedroom and the the other is the bathroom. I plan on painting the bathroom a light/med gray and the other bedroom will be a light purple with gray tones. There are no windows in the other 2 rooms and 2 very small windows in the bedroom I have uploaded. I am open to other color choices as well.

Right now I am agreeing to more of a lighter shade of blue with gray tones on the top, a white chair rail and then a darker at the knee wall.

Thank you for helping me with this project!
C

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts