DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I hope someone will be able to help me.

I want to make a partition wall with hardwood timber.

not sure how to go about attaching them to the floor and ceiling, I want to have a gap free connection.

here is a photo to see what I mean, this is no hardwood but just to get the idea.

·
Banned
153 Posts
I would go to Youtube and search "how to build a stud wall." Whether it is softwood or hardwood, the idea would be the same. If you don't want a stud wall but some exposed hardwood planks joined at the edges acting as a partition, that's a different story.

·
retired framer
59,636 Posts
so yes this would be exposed planks connected to the floor and ceiling, any ideas?
That was likely built before the ceiling and floor was finished and to do something like that now you would have to have a top and bottom plate and some trim. You could get close.

·
Banned
153 Posts
I want to make a partition wall with hardwood timber.
Have you seen the actual wall or are you just going by the picture?

Those pieces are too straight to be made from solid wood, and their edges look like they have an offset. I will bet all of my rewards points that they are made out of two steel channels with connectors inside.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all.

The under side of the floor is not accessible.

Im aware that the picture i put up is not timber but I would like to do the same thing from solid timber.

what I thought to do is to route a channel on the top and bottom of the timber, then make timber blocks the same size of the channels and install them first then slide the timber in place and glue a little piece to hide the channel opening.

hope that makes sense.

do you think that would work?

·
retired framer
59,636 Posts
You could likely make something work with the spring pins for bi fold doors but it wouldn't work with the drywall on the ceiling.

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Well, the 2nd picture looks like the "timbers" are notched at the top and bottom. If I wanted to do something like this, I would probably do some pegs in holes in the floor on the bottom, and cut into the drywall at the top.

OP, which way do your ceiling joists run? Will they be parallel to the line of timbers, or parallel to the ends of the timbers?

·
Banned
153 Posts
If you don't have a beam directly above your projected wall, and you don't want to cut the ceiling drywall to add blocking, I would come up with a different plan.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.