DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gate will be 3' 1" x 2' 4" using 2 x 4's. The slats will attach into the short side of the 2 x 4. 10 slats, 2 fasteners at the top & 2 at the bottom. There will also be a diagonal 2 x 4 and I'm thinking 1 fastener there. would 2 be better?

I have 4 options re fasteners. I will drill pilots for them all - I don't want anything to split. The slats are gray and I need to get try and match the color as best possible.

1. This is my first choice, Torx. But it is for composite and I was told that without a head it may not be a good choice. I did drill a sample and it seemed very secure. Best color match and very easy to install.

Wood Bumper Paint Automotive exterior Wood stain

2. While it's Torx, my preferred fastener type, it's black. It's also a bit long. But it does have a better head for holding the wood.

Sleeve Finger Material property Font Thumb

3. Not my favorite head - Phillips. I just read that they were designed to cam out so the screw doesn't over tighten. However the length and color are good.

Hand Sleeve Finger Thumb Font

4. Lastly the nail. My brother, a carpenter, suggested this one as it is very secure, it won't come out without doing some major damage....not sure that I like that, if one of the slats needed to be replaced someday screws would be the choice. I also have arthritis in my thumbs and hammering is not a good thing.

Font Automotive exterior Wood Temperature Auto part

Thanks one and all!

Jim

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Forget the nails, they will loosen over time. The first screw doesn’t have the right head. For length, you should go about 1-1/2” into the 2x … you’re going into the short side, right?

·
Naildriver
18,700 Posts
What are the dimensions of the slats? If 1x cedar, you may want to use 2" narrow crown staples, HDG.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forget the nails, they will loosen over time. The first screw doesn’t have the right head. For length, you should go about 1-1/2” into the 2x … you’re going into the short side, right?
Going into the 2” edge, so there is 4” of wood. (I understand that the actual inch’s are less). The nails that are suggested have a twist on them to hold - but I still want to avoid them for all the reasons mentioned. So the unique thrsd design on the first screw won’t make up for o head?

·
Naildriver
18,700 Posts
The staples hold really well and will cause less splitting. If you put two screws or nails parallel in the wood, you will be capturing the grain and you stand the chance of the slat splitting because it can't move.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The staples hold really well and will cause less splitting. If you put two screws or nails parallel in the wood, you will be capturing the grain and you stand the chance of the slat splitting because it can't move.
Thanks chandler. I’m not familiar with these, can you recommend a gun and staple example? I have a staple gun but it’s for the traditional U shaped staple.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks chandler. I’m not familiar with these, can you recommend a gun and staple example? I have a staple gun but it’s for the traditional U shaped staple.
This ?

If so what size staple? Thanks!

·
Naildriver
18,700 Posts
This nailer is fairly inexpensive and shoots up to 1 5/8" staples. I mis spoke regarding 2" staples, as I believe most guns only shoot 1 1/4 through 1 5/8" narrow crown staples.

The 3/8" crown you refer to is really too large a staple head.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This nailer is fairly inexpensive and shoots up to 1 5/8" staples. I mis spoke regarding 2" staples, as I believe most guns only shoot 1 1/4 through 1 5/8" narrow crown staples.

The 3/8" crown you refer to is really too large a staple head.
Thanks! Will the head of the staple be recessed?

·
Naildriver
18,700 Posts
Yes, you will want to shoot it to where the staple goes across the wood's grain.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so most of the staplers are driven by air, I'd have to buy a compressor. would a 16-gauge work? even w/ battery & charger it's cheaper than air & compressor....however I may need to use screws, my budget - on this (rebuilding front steps with trex and adding gate below the landing - is getting to more than I planned...if I was going to use this kind of stapler lots - well that would justify it.

·
Naildriver
18,700 Posts
You won't be using this stapler for Trex, that's for sure. You would use Trex screws. For the cost of the Ryobi nailer, youi could be the proud owner of the Husky narrow crown stapler, a box of staples, a pancake compressor and hose. Even if you didn't use the stapler for a while, other guns can be used with the compressor.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You won't be using this stapler for Trex, that's for sure. You would use Trex screws. For the cost of the Ryobi nailer, youi could be the proud owner of the Husky narrow crown stapler, a box of staples, a pancake compressor and hose. Even if you didn't use the stapler for a while, other guns can be used with the compressor.

Chandler, that is correct, this is not for the Trex 😅. It is only for about 15 - 1 x 4 pine boards to some pressure treated 2 x 4's.... At the end of the day it's about aesthetics vs cost; screws (or the spiral nails) will be very crowded...and this is something we would be looking at often.

Stay tuned and thanks again one and all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts