DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a garage that is not attached to my house, its about a 2 1/2 gap from my house to my garage. This spring/summer I am taking the roof off and replacing the roof and joist due to bowing and giving out. My question is what would be the proper way to attach the garage to my house. Would I bolt a 4x4 or something to the side of the house and rest the wall studs and joist to that? Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Civil Engineer
5,832 Posts
I think you left something out of the post. Is your garage 2 -1/2 inches, feet, meters, or something else from the house? What exactly do you mean by attaching the garage to the house, do you want to make the house exterior wall the exterior wall for the garage as well? Do you want a door between the house and the garage? Connecting a house and a garage usually requires fire rated walls and a fire rated door, plus a minimum elevation difference between the garage floor and the house floor so spilled gasoline will not flow from the garage into the house. Your building inspector would be a good place to start to discuss the issues and how best to meet them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.