DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am turning my storage room into an extension of my kitchen and want to install a flat ceiling with attic storage space with a thin plywood floor for Christmas decoration. Can I just attach the framing of the the new ceiling with lag bolts thru the existing Sheetrock on the wall? Or do I need to remove the existing sheet rock off the wall to have wood to wood contact?

·
retired framer
44,123 Posts
I am turning my storage room into an extension of my kitchen and want to install a flat ceiling with attic storage space with a thin plywood floor for Christmas decoration. Can I just attach the framing of the the new ceiling with lag bolts thru the existing Sheetrock on the wall? Or do I need to remove the existing sheet rock off the wall to have wood to wood contact?
How big is the storage room? How will you gain access to it for storage?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The storage room is about 5 & 1/2‘ wide and 10’ long. I’ll just leave an access hole like a normal ceiling for getting in to it.

·
retired framer
44,123 Posts
The storage room is about 5 & 1/2‘ wide and 10’ long. I’ll just leave an access hole like a normal ceiling for getting in to it.
If this is an addition to the kitchen, will we be removing a wall and would that wall be the 5 1/2' or the 10'?
Can you post a few pictures?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts