DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I need to put up some new railings/ballusters for my stairs leading to the lower unit of my duplex. As far as code goes im comfortable with that, but I am looking for the easiest most economical way to do this. I see they have pre-made railings and ballusters at Home Deopt, but I have usually found all of the pre-made items do not fir properly and I just assume build them myself. I am going to use 4x4's for the posts, but not sure exactly how to cut the railings. Our code in Wisconsin says that railing have to be no higher than 38" or lower than 30".

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Not sure what code Wisconsis uses, but IRC 311.7.7 deal with stair rails. Codes for multi-family dwellings are usually rigidly enforced.

·
Stairguy
737 Posts
You can go 34-36" on the height. It is measured from the leading edge of the tread plumb up to the top of the rail.If its a small stair and you are not comfortable with how your gonna do it, draw a full size drawing of the stair on a piece of plywood or something.You only need to draw a few steps. Draw you steps (rise and run) with a framing square, draw in your post were you need them then draw in your rail at the right height. This will help you visualize exactly what you need to do and where things will be before you run into problems with the real stair.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts