DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right forum. Mods please move if not. :)

I need to repair a 20X20 asphalt parking area.

There are two bird baths about .25" deep.

Some cracks up to +- .1875

Some crumbled edges where maybe half the material is missing (looks like a ramp), maybe a bags worth in total.

Need to seal the whole thing.

I assume I'd clean it and remove loose material, fill the bird baths and cracks with something self-leveling. Use cold mix on the edges and then seal the whole thing.

This sound right?

Anyone recommend any products?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Municipalities in NY crack fill one year, slurry or chip seal the next year, and then leave it for years 3, 4 and 5, then repeat. 1/4“ ponding is left alone.
Commercial companies do it with what road crews use.
Or you can rip it out and replace it.
Or you can screw around with homeowner products that are kind of like painting it with gas resistant paint.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
cold mix is cheap because its only a temp mtl,,, IF you can find something unique paving materials's mix-in-a bag or its equal, its much better stuff

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
you MAY also be able to source some suitable materials by calling your local asphalt sealer distributor such as sealmaster - no $ interest

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,774 Posts
Ayuh,..... Pictures would help,......

Generally speakin',.... Asphalt is Not a Diy thing,....

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
municipalities ? whereabouts ? NYSDOT has annual regional contracts but wasn't aware it'd rolled down to counties &/or municipalities,,, slurryseal's an expensive item - here again, wasn't aware it was still being done other than airports
usually the crack seal material spec'd meets astm 3405 or 1190 specs - need a indirect fired pull-behind double oil-jacketed boiler w/hydraulic motor powering gear driven asphalt pump,,, the melted ( 390f ) material's then pumped thru a 20' hose & wand into properly prepp'd crack/joint
upm does meet certain astm specs ratings but its not avail at apron/vest stores

1 - 7 of 7 Posts