DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Asphalt Driveway sealing question / recommendation

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  carpdad 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have an asphalt driveway (bought home 2 years ago) and don't think it's been sealed. I also have a few small cracks that I think I can fill with a sealer that won't require any backing. I went to my local HD/Lowes and there are a lot of products that i'm not sure which route to go. Latex-ite Airport Grade/Optimum/Ultra Shield all around $20-30, but Acrylic plus at $45.

I'm in the NY/NJ area. driveway is approximately 40' x 20'

So my question
1) recommendation for a product sealant?
2) lessons learned from someone who has done this in the past?

Thanks!

#3 ·
So basic Latex products save money on 4 year vs. 10 year, in your opinion, as you're 3 years in and they look same...

What about that Acrylic Plus? Anyone have experience with this? They don't even list a warranty but most expensive... Marketing??

Thanks!

#4 ·
its not my opinion. its what i actually see on my driveway. but i finally did read the directions. they said to put 2 coats. when i did the test, i overlapped. that overlap is in pretty good shape, the rest, not so much. but still the 8 year was no better than the 2 year.

the more costly stuff, never used it.

also, if you search here, you will find several discussions on this.

#7 ·
What i read about it some years ago was that you can buy better coatings in pro stores. Their coatings are better because they have more sand in them? Not sure. If it is in your budget, it makes sense to apply 2 coats of better stuff. I am guessing it's about the same as one coat of paint vs 2 or more coats. At least a second coat will fill in spots that the first coat missed and less chance of water finding its way under the coat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.