DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am all set to fix the asphalt where our driveway meets the street. The only problem is I'll have to cut into the street about 6" past my property line. The long process of asking for permission can't even begin until Monday, so should I just do it and plan to beg for forgiveness? My wife thinks the town (Christiansburg, VA) will appreciate a random schmuck like me fixing their street, but I'm worried I might get the death penalty. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
Do your neighbors have similar problems where their driveway meet the street?

Is the street itself due for re-pavement anytime soon?

In my little town in AZ, the Public Works dept would praise me for fixing it, but no telling how petty bureaucrats in other places might react to you infringing on their domain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do your neighbors have similar problems where their driveway meet the street?

Is the street itself due for re-pavement anytime soon?

In my little town in AZ, the Public Works dept would praise me for fixing it, but no telling how petty bureaucrats in other places might react to you infringing on their domain.
I haven't noticed this problem with any of my neighbors' driveways. The rest of the street itself is in pretty decent shape so probably won't be re-paved soon.

I think I'll probably just go for it and hope for the best. I think the cut that would make the most sense would be an arc something like this:

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,788 Posts
Ayuh,.... What are gonna use for material,..??

Hot mix asphalt ain't in any way a Diy project,....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A hot summer day might be a better time to do cold patch, even in VA.
I know, but this is one of those rare occasions that I actually have time to get stuff done around the house. I went ahead and made the cut, so now I'm kind of committed.

The product I'm using (Latex-ite Super Patch) is supposed to work at any temp, and I have the buckets at room temp so they should flow okay.

Any idea if I can put this stuff directly on top of the asphalt that's in good condition? It says it's not for depressions, and I think that's technically what I have in the areas where I just want to raise the surface up to street level. I'd rather not have to dig out all of that good asphalt.

I'll do some more searching but just curious if anyone here knows.

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,788 Posts
Ayuh,.... just googled it,.... It's cold patch,...

Don't really matter how ya do it, it won't stay put,...

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
Any idea if I can put this stuff directly on top of the asphalt that's in good condition? It says it's not for depressions, and I think that's technically what I have in the areas where I just want to raise the surface up to street level. I'd rather not have to dig out all of that good asphalt.

I'll do some more searching but just curious if anyone here knows.
I'm not sure, but I think you might need the asphalt equivalent of a concrete bonding agent.

·
Registered
9,060 Posts
your WAY over thinking this. dig out the bad areas. make sure there is a good base, and leave it deep enough for over 2" of patch, 3"+ would be better. then put the patch in and pack it down real well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
your WAY over thinking this. dig out the bad areas. make sure there is a good base, and leave it deep enough for over 2" of patch, 3"+ would be better. then put the patch in and pack it down real well.
The problem is the street is 1-2" higher than the driveway. I wanted to level that and stop the street from breaking off in chunks. So I cut a line (like red line in my above pic) to get rid of all the jagged/crumbly edges. Now that I have a sharp drop-off from street to driveway, I'm kind of committed and I really need to level it.

A neighbor told me the town actually owns the first 10' of my driveway and they will fix stuff like this for free. But I'm sure there will be a long wait and I doubt they are going to be happy with me for starting the job.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
where'd you get the mtl ? a specialty supplier of polymer-modified b-top patch OR the apron/vest store ? from what i can find, here its h/d,,, we'd NEVER use that stuff for our clients.

how deep was/is the sawcut ? it should have been thru both layers of b-top,,, streets are built w/coarse b-top mtl on top of a compacted granular base,,, a smaller mix is then paved on top of it,,, YOUR main issue is the mtl meeting whatever the town's specs are for the existing street,,, usually they'd spec a dot approved mix + thickness + compaction density - you can't satisfy those rqmts :no: talk nice to the town's pe & street maint chief - hopefully they'll take pity on you :yes: the pe's position is probably NOT an elected office - perhaps the chief's is - you decide what to do :laughing:

i doubt the town ' owns ' the 1st 10' HOWEVER they do have an easement if they widen the street/upgrade water service lines/etc,,, you're paying the taxes on that 10' tho

to answer zzzzzzzzzzzzz, its called ' tack coat ' - a cutback asphalt

·
Registered
9,060 Posts
A neighbor told me the town actually owns the first 10' of my driveway and they will fix stuff like this for free. But I'm sure there will be a long wait and I doubt they are going to be happy with me for starting the job.
about 20' of my front yard is not mine.

long wait = yep, probably. they will not care what you did. unless, perhaps, you need to have them fix what you installed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts