DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am remodeling a home I recently purchased built in 1971. The vents are in the trim so I am moving them to the floor. I accidentally pulled one of the trunks loose and had to tape it back on. The tape was silver but white on the underside. Everything I’ve read said asbestos tape is white, but since it’s white on the underside I wasn’t sure. Did I contaminate my entire home ?

·
retired framer
44,484 Posts
asbestos tape was a light grey colour fairly thick with a fibre feel to it, like it could have been thick paper

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely not the same. I didn’t know they used anything else in the 70s but I guess they were becoming more aware then so hopefully this wasn’t asbestos ! Thanks!

·
retired framer
44,484 Posts
Definitely not the same. I didn’t know they used anything else in the 70s but I guess they were becoming more aware then so hopefully this wasn’t asbestos ! Thanks!
They may have been using duct tape then, they don't use it any more.

·
Hvac Pro
23,681 Posts
Asbestos tape will crumble in your fingers and if you add water to it becomes like paste.

It had no silver covering and looked fairly white all the time.

·
retired framer
44,484 Posts
Asbestos tape will crumble in your fingers and if you add water to it becomes like paste.

It had no silver covering and looked fairly white all the time.
I think the few times i saw it, it was dirty. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I’m pretty sure we’ve determined the ducts DO have asbestos tape and then regular duct tape on top of it. We have been removed the registers and converting them to floor vents instead of baseboard. Now that it’s all done and I’ve disturbed the tape on around ten ducts does this mean my house will be a hazmat situation? I was planning to get an air quality test after we get the HVAC turned back on and run a few days before moving in. If it’s clean can I just assume all is well? Didn’t know any better! Oops !

Attachments

·
retired framer
44,484 Posts
Ok so I’m pretty sure we’ve determined the ducts DO have asbestos tape and then regular duct tape on top of it. We have been removed the registers and converting them to floor vents instead of baseboard. Now that it’s all done and I’ve disturbed the tape on around ten ducts does this mean my house will be a hazmat situation? I was planning to get an air quality test after we get the HVAC turned back on and run a few days before moving in. If it’s clean can I just assume all is well? Didn’t know any better! Oops !
Unless you ripped and tore them and turned them to dust, I think you are fine. I wonder if you could encapsulate them with aluminum tape or the paint on sealer they use.
https://homes.winnipegfreepress.com...bestos-tape-can-be-covered-left-alone/id-3008

See what others think.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unless you ripped and tore them and turned them to dust, I think you are fine. I wonder if you could encapsulate them with aluminum tape or the paint on sealer they use.
https://homes.winnipegfreepress.com...bestos-tape-can-be-covered-left-alone/id-3008

See what others think.
We already removed the tape that was disturbed, so nothing left to encapsulate.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ok so I’m pretty sure we’ve determined the ducts DO have asbestos tape and then regular duct tape on top of it. We have been removed the registers and converting them to floor vents instead of baseboard. Now that it’s all done and I’ve disturbed the tape on around ten ducts does this mean my house will be a hazmat situation?
I can only tell you what I would do. If the question is, would I be working in this area after this asbestos like material was removed without the proper protocol, NO! Would I let my family come into the building before I had the whole house tested and remediated (if necessary), NO.

My guess would be, when you activate the HVAC system blower, you will spread the fibers around the house--even more. At a minimum, I would get the place tested for some peace of mind… this would be some $ well spent.

I hope everything works out in a good way.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am not 100% sure about it being asbestos, just having a hard time determining what else it could be. I’m not familiar with HVAC stuff. I got a better pic of one of them if anyone has any ideas. One from the outside and one on the inside. I didn’t pull the tape off or anything, just disconnected these pieces so I could replace with new floor ducts.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am not 100% sure about it being asbestos, just having a hard time determining what else it could be. I’m not familiar with HVAC stuff. I got a better pic of one of them if anyone has any ideas. One from the outside and one on the inside. I didn’t pull the tape off or anything, just disconnected these pieces so I could replace with new floor ducts.
Even an expert has the suspected substance tested in a lab before stating it is or isn't. I am going to take an educated guess: It sure looks like asbestos tape wrapped with old duct tape. Compare your photo to the video I attached.

A cheap test kit is available at H Depot or other store for around $50, that includes analysis. But you could use this $ for the professional test instead.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So should I turn the furnace on now and have an air quality test done before we put everything back together to avoid ripping up new flooring ?

Or is there something else I should do instead ? I wonder if me cutting the pipe to offset it from the wall damaged tape further back in the system from vibration? I don’t want asbestos fibers to be continuously blown in the house. I can clean what I’ve disturbed now. Just don’t want on-gomg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts