DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do I remove asbestos siding without damaging it, Im replacing the old windows with slight larger windows I have the windows framed out inside the house. Im am ready to to install the new windows but as I mentioned before I have remove and cut the asbestos siding. Is there any special tools to to use to remove the siding?
Thanks for your input
Level

·
11,730 Posts
I had asb. shingles on my house years ago. Use end nipper pliers to gently push against the siding and grab the nail-head, then a steady pull. Hold the siding board as it may fall with only one nail removed....

Gary

Reactions: Level

·
jschaben
588 Posts
how do I remove asbestos siding without damaging it, Im replacing the old windows with slight larger windows I have the windows framed out inside the house. Im am ready to to install the new windows but as I mentioned before I have remove and cut the asbestos siding. Is there any special tools to to use to remove the siding?
Thanks for your input
Level
My place has asbestos siding also and I essentially use the same method GBR described to remove it. Cutting it is a different deal altogether. I have no idea what a safe way to do that is. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
And just where do you plan on disposing these shingles once they are removed? I'd think about that before removing any of them.

·
Custom Home Builder
95 Posts
There used to be a cutting tool that was available for rental from our local tool rental place.
If you have one near you, give them a call and ask them if they have one.
Sort of looks like a big old tile cutter.
Looks like something that came from way back.
Pretty simple to use.
The people at the tool rental could probably give you some tips.

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
Asbestos shingles are not generally considered friable materials. Most landfills will acept them if they are double bagged and the bags are sealed (tops twisted and duct taped). Requirements may vary from place to place. Call your local landfill and ask about disposal. Cutting is a bit risky. Keep them wet to minimize airborn dust. Whatever you do, don't saw them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts