DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am remodeling my new to me home circa 1971. Initially I had planned to just floor over this small section of sheet flooring in the foyer, and install new real hardwood on the entire top floor. But after taking up carpet and inspecting, I realize I’m going to have to take up the particle board that sits in the subfloor, alone with this vinyl flooring to lay plywood down to nail the wood.

So, what’s the best option to proceed ? The house is empty aside from tools, etc. All the vents are taped up and we will be having the ductwork cleaned after we finish before moving in. Is it necessary to build containment or is it ok to just open the front door and put a box fan there ? Hoping to pry the floor up from the particle board.

Open to suggestions! Have a two and six year old so don’t want to do anything that would harm them.

The section is maybe 3 x 7 right at the front door. It’s a green floor that looks like flagstone with white paper on the back and yellow glue. If someone tells me how I can post pics.

·
1,398 Posts
To attach photos you can scroll down to quick reply. Just under that, click the box that says Go Advanced, and then add attachments.

Personally I wouldn't be overly concerned with an area that small and right by the door. The danger of asbestos is when it is disturbed. If you can get it up still attached to the underlay that would probably create the least amount of dust.

A light must from a spray bottle will also keep dust down. Do get yourself and any helpers an asbestos rated mask.

Depending on where you live, following all the rules could turn this into a very expensive and difficult process. Disposal could also create problems for you.

·
retired framer
45,811 Posts
You could have the paper tested at a commercial lab to know for sure.

Keep in mind us older guys have been exposed to it plenty working on stuff like that.
The people that got sick were the ones working in a dust filled environment for years.

I would take a knife and just cut a grid pattern in the vinyl then pry up the particle board from the edges, so when the particle board breaks up the vinyl will come with it with out tearing to much. Have a spritz bottle and spritz the dust down as you go.

Sheeting off door ways to other rooms is always a good idea. Vacuum when done.

·
retired framer
45,811 Posts
I didn’t know but it goes in the coat closet to do a little but more. Ugh....
Do you have a crawlspace or unfinished basement. You could hammer the nails up from below and get most of them.

·
retired framer
45,811 Posts
for the rest of the floor, you could just pull the nails.

Then for the section with vinyl I would rent one of these.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I am concerned I’ve ruined my new home. We’ve torn our sheetrock, a tile bathroom and a brick wall all inside the home. I didn’t realize asbestos could be in all these materials. Is there any way to clean the air before we move in and make it safe for my two and six year old ?

·
retired framer
45,811 Posts
So I am concerned I’ve ruined my new home. We’ve torn our sheetrock, a tile bathroom and a brick wall all inside the home. I didn’t realize asbestos could be in all these materials. Is there any way to clean the air before we move in and make it safe for my two and six year old ?
When you are done you can get an air quality test done. Just be care full with dust when you are dealing with those asbestos maybes. Find a commercial lab and get tests done, sleep better knowing if it is bad knew you find way to deal with it. We all grew up with that crap and your kids will grow up with other crap. Crap happens. :wink2:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes and we have two laminated headers put in.

We’ve tried to keep dust down and use a shop vac with a HEPA filter and fine filtration bag, along with a Nilfisk shop vac with a true hepa filter. I plan to rent an air scrubber and let it run for a week before we move in. Would this be sufficient? I think the air quality tests are pretty pricey and I obviously don’t know if the brick contains asbestos or the mortar. We had the popcorn ceiling tested and it was negative thankfully !

·
retired framer
45,811 Posts
Yes and we have two laminated headers put in.

We’ve tried to keep dust down and use a shop vac with a HEPA filter and fine filtration bag, along with a Nilfisk shop vac with a true hepa filter. I plan to rent an air scrubber and let it run for a week before we move in. Would this be sufficient? I think the air quality tests are pretty pricey and I obviously don’t know if the brick contains asbestos or the mortar. We had the popcorn ceiling tested and it was negative thankfully !
brick and mortar , highly unlikely.
You will have all new paint and floor, how much dust do you expect to have. Not a lot.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I’m really only dealing with the joint compound in the sheetrock and that small section of flooring so hopefully ok!

·
retired framer
45,811 Posts
So I’m really only dealing with the joint compound in the sheetrock and that small section of flooring so hopefully ok!
They never say much about the drywall but we recycle it but not if it is date coded 1992 or before, costs big bucks to get rid of that stuff. So it might be more than just the filler.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I had the floor tested and the backing/paper is 40% asbestos. Can I still safely proceed as planned ? Planning to put plastic up around the area, try to pry it up from the particle board underlayment in as big of pieces as possible and have a spray bottle with water and Dawn to keep it wet.

·
Licensed Engineer
386 Posts
Home owners were exempt from asbestos regulations in most areas - but check first to see if you are still exempt.

Tyvek coveralls, asbestos rated mask, gloves and goggles, double bag the debris, securely tape the bags shut with duct-tape, then place the bags by the curb for residential trash pick-up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts