DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having Armstrong Alterna tiles installed (glue down with Armstrong recommended glue) in two bathroom, and want to make sure it is waterproof (being glued onto a wood sub-floor). From this forum, I have read that you want to put the tiles as close together as possible to minimize the gap, but I have also heard that you should use the Armstrong grout. Can you have the tiles touching each other and still put a thin line of grout? Any other suggestions on avoiding water damage to the sub-floor would also be appreciated.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
You can have the tiles touch or you can have a grout line.
You can't have both.
Did you go to the Armstrong site a look at the videos?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Between having a grout line, or having the tiles touch, is there one that is better for waterproofing/water-resistants?

I am thinking of having a 1/16" grout line to keep the gap small and still gain water resistants from the grout. Do that make sense?

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Between having a grout line, or having the tiles touch, is there one that is better for waterproofing/water-resistants?

I am thinking of having a 1/16" grout line to keep the gap small and still gain water resistants from the grout. Do that make sense?
The instructions should tell you what the minimum and maximum grout lines can be.
I think your overly worrying about this. If there's a small amount of water, you wipe it up after bathing. If there's a large amount of water, it will leak out around the perimeter, especially the door threshold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts