DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went into a regional hardware store / home improvement store today looking for these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Made-in-US...rbon-Steel-Black-Pipe-Coupling-9/362814364067

They acted like I was Daft.

Tried to sell me PVC couplers, or those cast galvanized monstrosities.

Around 45 years ago, I was labor on a power plant build, and we used 100s of these to plumb the waterlines around the site, plumbing the lavatories, and wash stations.

This store floor person, thought that I was having halucinations or something, I checked Home Depot website, but found nothing there either.

So does anyone here know if they are still made?

Before I spend the shipping charge to get these.

ED

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm only 33, bit I've never heard of a forged coupling for a water line. Maybe that's just my age showing. We only use galvanized cast couplings at our plant. Is there a reason you think you need forged? We've had zero issues with our galvanized couplings and other fittings... Usually it's the valves that give us issues.

ETA - I manage a maintenance team in an automotive plant. Plenty of water lines running around. We exclusively use galvanized pipe and fittings and rarely do repairs on them (usually just changing how things are routed).

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
I don't know my metal classes but Zoro.co has the the steel couplings. The 1/2" is 1.37. They also have reasonable shipping for most things.

Reactions: de-nagorg

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
That one you linked to a EBay is a class 3000 fitting. You are not going to find that in a hardware or home improvement center.
Do you really need class 3000 ?

Do you have any industrial pipe supplies around where you are ?
Grainger carries them online, shipped to your store in a few days.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That one you linked to a EBay is a class 3000 fitting. You are not going to find that in a hardware or home improvement center.
Do you really need class 3000 ?

Do you have any industrial pipe supplies around where you are ?
Grainger carries them online, shipped to your store in a few days.
I don't need the Class 3000, a lower class will work.

I found them on Grainger . com overnight, also at Menards . com.

So I answered my question, now it is a matter of waiting again for something to be delivered to " Ordercity".

My peeve name for my locality, it seems that anything that I want, is always an order only item here.

ED

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found them at Menards.com, bought them for $1. 76 each, and free shipping to their local store.

A much better deal, than e-bay, or Grainger . com.

So it's wait some more .

ED

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm glad you found what you were looking for. I think part of your issue was confusion on what the couplings that you wanted are actually called.

I think what you were looking for (and probably the ones that you found) are called "steel merchant couplings". They are very common, but many pros hate them and they sometimes don't meet code since they don't have tapered threads. Instead the threads go all of the way through staying the same deepness all the way. They sometimes come screwed onto full sticks of pipe, and people like me refer to them as "thread protectors". I usually take them off and throw them in the garbage.

The kind that most pros like better, and the ones that you seem to hate, are called "malleable steel couplings". They aren't cast iron, even though technically they are "cast". After they are cast they then go through an annealing process to make them softer than what most people consider as real cast iron.

The kind you linked to was an extra heavy duty coupling, usually only used with high pressure piping systems. These, as well as the malleable kind have tapered threads that get shallower towards the middle of the coupling where the threads stop. This helps hold and seal the threaded pipe (which also has tapered threads) in there better .

I know you already found what you were looking for, so my ramblings probably don't make any difference to you, but I thought I'd write this down just in case someone else might be helped by this info.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm glad you found what you were looking for. I think part of your issue was confusion on what the couplings that you wanted are actually called.

I think what you were looking for (and probably the ones that you found) are called "steel merchant couplings". They are very common, but many pros hate them and they sometimes don't meet code since they don't have tapered threads. Instead the threads go all of the way through staying the same deepness all the way. They sometimes come screwed onto full sticks of pipe, and people like me refer to them as "thread protectors". I usually take them off and throw them in the garbage.

The kind that most pros like better, and the ones that you seem to hate, are called "malleable steel couplings". They aren't cast iron, even though technically they are "cast". After they are cast they then go through an annealing process to make them softer than what most people consider as real cast iron.

The kind you linked to was an extra heavy duty coupling, usually only used with high pressure piping systems. These, as well as the malleable kind have tapered threads that get shallower towards the middle of the coupling where the threads stop. This helps hold and seal the threaded pipe (which also has tapered threads) in there better .

I know you already found what you were looking for, so my ramblings probably don't make any difference to you, but I thought I'd write this down just in case someone else might be helped by this info.

Thanks: Actually your ramblings clarified some of my questions on things.

Those Malleable cast ones , I have busted too many of them in my lifetime, trying to make them tighten up.

Besides my use this time, needs more tensile strength, than leaking strength, as this is being used as a support brace for an inversion table.

The table that I bought had a 3/8 soft steel rod, that bent and fell out dumping me fully upside down, the first time that I used it.

So I want something to support my fatass better. :vs_laugh:

Yeah; I have always been the person in the room that took more room, not really fat, just a monster sized human.

Like a pro football player is.

ED

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The couplings you need should be readily available in an oil field supply or hydraulic hose supply locally. People in those fields needing parts aren't willing to wait for a shipment from china.
You're right, I did not think of that.

I'm sure that you understand the plight of not enough money to pay those oilfield prices though.
:wink2:

ED

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
May be less expensive than amazon or for certain a trip to ER.:biggrin2: And you know about the latter.
That's my second home.

I have been drug in there kicking and screaming that , that is the last place in the world that I wanted to be in. :devil3:

It has been probably a dozen times so far in my 66 years, the first time I was 21. :vs_mad:

If what I bought from Menards.com, is inadequate, that will be my next stop.

Great idea.

ED

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.