DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to remove the linen closet and wall in this restroom. Already had a structural engineer look at it before I removed the drywall. He only checked the studs with a Franklin stud sensor and didn't go into the attic. He assured me it would be OK to remove the walls, but he only took about 5 seconds to determine this with his stud sensor. Is it really that fast? I'm still unsure after removing the drywall and wanted a second opinion before I remove studs. Here are pics...
Walls to be removed are hi-lighted in red.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,817 Posts
Based on my non engineering background I don't think they are. I have drawn what I believe to be the load bearing walls in that area in green.

walls.png

·
retired framer
44,574 Posts
I agree with Joe, you are good to go. The engineer could see it in his sleep, he took all the time he needed.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I have heard that if the wall runs parallel to the floor joists it's not load bearing. I'm not entirely sure that's true.

I have found in my 1977-1978 home that the non load bearing walls are built on top of the floor, vs the load bearing ones the floor is built out from the wall. I'm not sure if that holds water either, but it's been my experience thus far.

·
retired framer
44,574 Posts
I have heard that if the wall runs parallel to the floor joists it's not load bearing. I'm not entirely sure that's true.

I have found in my 1977-1978 home that the non load bearing walls are built on top of the floor, vs the load bearing ones the floor is built out from the wall. I'm not sure if that holds water either, but it's been my experience thus far.
That is in the description of a balloon framed house. Doesn't apply to today's platform houses. :vs_cool:

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
That is in the description of a balloon framed house. Doesn't apply to today's platform houses. :vs_cool:
hmmm is there a hybrid design? I always thought mine was "platform" building because none of the studs are continuous floor to floor. The exterior walls and the structural wall studs have a 10" height "difference" from the non-structural walls on the first floor (the center wall has fire breaks in it.)

·
retired framer
44,574 Posts
hmmm is there a hybrid design? I always thought mine was "platform" building because none of the studs are continuous floor to floor. The exterior walls and the structural wall studs have a 10" height "difference" from the non-structural walls on the first floor (the center wall has fire breaks in it.)
That doesn't compute. Both are built on the floor.

Joists land on a bearing wall but the floor is continues.And a bearing wall is built on top the floor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the replies, everyone. I guess the walls will be coming down today. I was worried since I removed the drywall and saw all the extra studs and headers. Why use so much lumber if the wall isn't structural at all?

·
retired framer
44,574 Posts
Thank you for the replies, everyone. I guess the walls will be coming down today. I was worried since I removed the drywall and saw all the extra studs and headers. Why use so much lumber if the wall isn't structural at all?
The people building the walls, don't have the plan for the joists at hand so they header everything. One of your headers as no jack studs, so you know that isn't doing anything.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thought I would add an update of my finished project.

Lots of modification to the bottom right side drawers in that vanity. all the plumbing and water lines come out of that space. Had to shorten the drawers and cut the metal slides.

Believe it or not, the hardest thing to do for me was removing the wallpaper.:vs_laugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts