DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using Zinsser Cover Stain.

This is my paint pot after bout 15 minutes. I have to push aside the drying paint on the surface to get to liquid pain underneath. You can imagine what the brush looks like. And it's impossible to paint onto a surface because it goes all streaky and bitsy. And I've already thinned it to the limit of the specs on the side of the can.

Basically it dries way too fast. Does anyone know of a primer that's actually useable?

thx
p

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take it back. The can is too old, perhaps they did't rotate stock.
This is my second can....from two different places actually, and they both did this. They did specifically warn me that it dries really fast, so I'm thinking it's normal

But I'm wondering that surely primers don't have to dry this fast(?) so wondering if anyone has any recommends....

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
I'm using Zinsser Cover Stain.

This is my paint pot after bout 15 minutes. I have to push aside the drying paint on the surface to get to liquid pain underneath. You can imagine what the brush looks like. And it's impossible to paint onto a surface because it goes all streaky and bitsy. And I've already thinned it to the limit of the specs on the side of the can.

Basically it dries way too fast. Does anyone know of a primer that's actually useable?

thx
p
1) I guess that's the UK label, check batch numbers and make sure it was mixed thoroughly at the store or no solids stuck to the bottom of the can.

2) What surface are you priming there are plenty better primers than coverstain...

·
Premium Member
8,056 Posts
I use a lot of CoverStain and only have problems like that if it's a really hot, dry day. You could switch to a SLOW-drying oil primer if you can find one. Most paint stores have a version of a slow-drying oil primer.

Not sure what you are priming, but, unless it's bare wood you could use a latex primer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.