DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Are pipe lining and pipe bursting possible with an offset line caused by tree roots and old infrastructure?

216 5
We have a 1925 home in a community of historical homes which has aging old sewer and water mains. Our house pipes were old crock (sp?) that have been mostly replaced, but our line to the street continues to be plagued by tree roots and offset joints which cause backups into our cold storage area overflow (thankfully there's a kneewall between it and the basement, but it has come past before).

The line from our house to the sidewalk has been replaced four years ago, but of course now we have a new offset gap underneath the sidewalk. The city is very slowly updating the main sewer lines, and sometimes brings in a company that offers customers a bulk discount to have their lines done at the same time for a discounted price, but our street will not be completed anytime in the near future.

My question is, can pipe lining and pipe bursting be a good solution for a situation like ours? Can these processes be performed with an offset in the line? The line is flowing currently, but will inevitably fail again soon because of the roots and other matter backing up at this gap.
Any and all info is much appreciated!
Reactions: splendorwhiz
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,810 Posts
Yes to a point. Since your is flowing than most likely one of those will work. Lining is cheaper but bursting can work when lining can't.

Call some sewer people, they will camera the line and tell you if it's doable and how much. In my area that is free with there estimate.

· Super Moderator
8,437 Posts
We have a 1925 home in a community of historical homes which has aging old sewer and water mains. Our house pipes were old crock (sp?) that have been mostly replaced, but our line to the street continues to be plagued by tree roots and offset joints which cause backups into our cold storage area overflow (thankfully there's a kneewall between it and the basement, but it has come past before).

The line from our house to the sidewalk has been replaced four years ago, but of course now we have a new offset gap underneath the sidewalk. The city is very slowly updating the main sewer lines, and sometimes brings in a company that offers customers a bulk discount to have their lines done at the same time for a discounted price, but our street will not be completed anytime in the near future.

My question is, can pipe lining and pipe bursting be a good solution for a situation like ours? Can these processes be performed with an offset in the line? The line is flowing currently, but will inevitably fail again soon because of the roots and other matter backing up at this gap.
Any and all info is much appreciated!
Pipe bursting or lining runs about the same price wise. Call a couple local companies that service your area for some quotes. They will let you know if it can be done or what your best solution going forward is in your location. It's different depending on location so check.

Prices for bursting/lining doing a google search are all over from $135 to $285 per linear foot. Best to call local companies who specialize in sewer pipe trenchless/lining for more accurate pricing/info on it.

A lot of old homes in my location have had it done. Average length of run 50 feet costing around 14-16 grand. Check into your homeowners insurance you may be covered or be able to buy into service line coverage. It won't cover all of it, it's based on a pro-rated system depending on age of home, etc. Statefarm offers it here to older homes prior to 1950.

· Registered
2,810 Posts
Pipe lining has gotten an unfair bad name sometimes. I've had over a 100 homes done with 0 failures but I had reputable contractors working for me. The inspector has to see a camera view of the line after completion so not sure why there seems to be a debate. I'm assuming boot legged jobs from fly by night contractors gave it a bad reputation.

Bursting cost more because you need at least 2 pot holes instead of one. Sometimes the shored up pothole's costs as much as the lining/bursting. Depends how deep they are.

Had one that was 14ft deep.

When going under a road lining really starts saving beer tokens. Street panels are pricy.

Definitely takes more skill to do the liner.....and more risk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts