DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have new Microllam LVL beams in place on a new build garage, now I'm told my trusses are running behind for delivery, possibly another 3-4 weeks, we have rain and snow coming and the beams will be exposed to the weather longer than expected. Looked online and the only info I can find is that the beams should not be exposed to the wet weather, I can't even find a phone number of the manufacturer so I can get a little tech support on how weatherproof these beams really are. Thinking about wrapping my cripples and beams with Tyvek to keep them dry but I wish I could contact the manufacturer to see just how critical keeping these beams dry really is. Anyone have any info on this subject?
Sky Cloud Window Building Wood
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They sit outside at the lumber yard and we often cut both ends as the ends to swell up the rest I think are covered in a wax.
It wouldn't hurt to drape a tarp over it.
I would move the braces to the inside and sheet it.
They sit outside at the lumber yard and we often cut both ends as the ends to swell up the rest I think are covered in a wax.
It wouldn't hurt to drape a tarp over it.
I would move the braces to the inside and sheet it.
They sit outside at the lumber yard and we often cut both ends as the ends to swell up the rest I think are covered in a wax.
It wouldn't hurt to drape a tarp over it.
I would move the braces to the inside and sheet it.
They sit outside at the lumber yard and we often cut both ends as the ends to swell up the rest I think are covered in a wax.
It wouldn't hurt to drape a tarp over it.
I would move the braces to the inside and sheet it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have some extra rolls of Tyvek, plan on draping it over the top to cover the beam. Finished putting it up yesterday just in time then the rain moved in. We have more rain and high winds for the next couple days, planning on getting out there as soon as the winds calm down so I can start sheathing it. I'll try to cover it today and put on more braces, the weather has been horrible the past few weeks. I did find something online that said these beams have a "watershed overlay moister barrier" on them but still plan on putting a cover over it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 3-4 week delay on my trusses is only a approximate date, they say could be longer because of the holidays and work shortage, truss company fully backed up on work, (no one wants to work anymore!). I'm looking for a plan B in case the trusses could even be longer to arrive. If I was to sheath and wrap the garage then put on brace supports, would that be efficient to help for any wind problems? Just made up a quick diagram of supports for a plan B, not use if this would help or not. I know it's an added expense but I'd rather be safe than worrying about any wind or anything happening to the walls, not sure how long I'll be waiting for these trusses. I also have a lots of 2x4 supports I made for my outside walls when building the house, plan on also running these supports from the top plate to the ground inside and outside. I know I could be just over thinking but I rather feel safe than sorry, any input on this support diagram would be helpful..
Rectangle Triangle Wood Font Handwriting
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top