DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
retired framer
53,514 Posts
I have new Microllam LVL beams in place on a new build garage, now I'm told my trusses are running behind for delivery, possibly another 3-4 weeks, we have rain and snow coming and the beams will be exposed to the weather longer than expected. Looked online and the only info I can find is that the beams should not be exposed to the wet weather, I can't even find a phone number of the manufacturer so I can get a little tech support on how weatherproof these beams really are. Thinking about wrapping my cripples and beams with Tyvek to keep them dry but I wish I could contact the manufacturer to see just how critical keeping these beams dry really is. Anyone have any info on this subject?
View attachment 673390
They sit outside at the lumber yard and we often cut both ends as the ends to swell up the rest I think are covered in a wax.
It wouldn't hurt to drape a tarp over it.
I would move the braces to the inside and sheet it.

·
retired framer
53,514 Posts
I have some extra rolls of Tyvek, plan on draping it over the top to cover the beam. Finished putting it up yesterday just in time then the rain moved in. We have more rain and high winds for the next couple days, planning on getting out there as soon as the winds calm down so I can start sheathing it. I'll try to cover it today and put on more braces, the weather has been horrible the past few weeks. I did find something online that said these beams have a "watershed overlay moister barrier" on them but still plan on putting a cover over it.
And the ends are good until they have been cut, the yards get 40 footers, so you most always get one end that is been soaking up water.
If you are getting wind, maybe sheeting is not a good idea.

·
retired framer
53,514 Posts
The corners would be much stringer wit the second top plate.
I would leave it much like it is if you are waiting an unknown amount of time. Wet plywood can show ply separations and OSB will swell just keep it dry for now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts