DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We are putting a pass-through (~36 inches) on a load bearing wall between our family room and kitchen. I know we need to add a header. But I'm wondering if just nailing the header into the adjoining studs is sufficient, or if jack studs are necessary.

Follow on question, is there ever an instance where jack studs are not necessary when putting in a header on a load bearing wall?

Thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Remodeling Contractor
3,590 Posts
Nails have no real sheath strength. That is why a jack stud is needed. Keep in mind you also need blocking under this jack stud on a bearing wall to keep the weight transferred down into the foundation. This needs to have solid bearing all the way.

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
The only case I can think of where a jack stud might not be needed:

If double floor joists run across the opening above to carry the load. And possible an engineer would need to evaluate & sign off - in that case you might not need a header

·
11,730 Posts
You need to figure out how much load it will be carrying. Carry the load directly through the floor system below, as Bob said.

Yes, a few instances. A Simpson: HUC412-concealed flanges hanger would work, with nails. (2400 lbs.)

Or, a Simpson: HUCQ hanger works, with special screws. (-5000lbs.) http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/U-HU-HUC-HUCQ_SCL.asp

With both you need a 4x4 to act as the king stud. So, if you cut the walls back for posts, easier to cut the kings off to make them trimmers, and run the header to the next studs back. Be safe, GBR

·
Registered
150 Posts
Keep in mind you also need blocking under this jack stud on a bearing wall to keep the weight transferred down into the foundation. This needs to have solid bearing all the way.
Sometimes this is true. For a 36" opening in a house he does not need to do this. the bottom plate will transfer the load adaquitly, unless maybe he has a safe or somethin sitting on top of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts