DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed an arc fault breaker in my house. I have a Cutler-Hammer box with type BR115 breakers. I just installed a BR series Arc Fault breaker for Cutler Hammer and it is hanging a quarter inch lower than it should. I have a picture I can send. Can anyone tell me if this is the way that they are supposed to attach to the box?

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Post a picture with the cover off and another with it on. If you have to, use a extra lamp or some light to help make the picture clearer if the box is in a dark area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's more than likely the weight of the breaker weighing down on the bussing. Unless it actually feels loose where it connects to the bussing. GE panels with their "slim" breakers have this problem, breaker slop i believe it's called

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Breaker

That is the best picture to see the drop of the breaker. I just want to make sure that this is the correct breaker (Cutler Hammer AFCI for the BR series). I heard that there are issues with these new breakers, but inspectors tend to be picky.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That is the best picture to see the drop of the breaker. I just want to make sure that this is the correct breaker (Cutler Hammer AFCI for the BR series). I heard that there are issues with these new breakers, but inspectors tend to be picky.

As long as its a BR type panel, the AFCI BR breaker is fine. As for the issues, I cant say much for cutler hammer, but i do know that some of the early on AFCI breakers had problems which were refined within the last few years. Just dont use the cords to pull any plugs out of the sockets that AFCI is connected to, it will cause the "arc flash" that that breaker is supposed to protect from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts