DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say great forum. This is first time I have come on here. Anyways I a Arc Breaker for regular residential that I installed on a older house. I have done some electric in the past so I know some things but I have never used the Arc Breaker.

Problem -

I can turn on the Arc Breaker it stays on just fine, will stay on for hours, and I can plug my cable modem into also a cheaper plug tester so far great!

However I utilitech can lighting, once I turn on the lighting with the wall switch the breaker trips. :( If I plug a cheap new Hampton bay light in any out let it goes, if I turn on other switches to the middle of the room with the power tester or my cable modem it does NOT TRIP.

So I'm looking for any help or thoughts. My only guess's are the breaker could be bad. Honestly it looks like it was used...? (or maybe they test them ) There was some sort of oil, or light residue on it and some lite wear it looks like. But maybe they test them from the factory? Also it felt loser than the other breakers too. (also there is a light hum when its on too)

Leds could be causing a issue, or light bulbs maybe from what i read? Maybe once so much juice is pulled from the line it detects the arc or something like that? I do not have a lot of stuff to test it with in the house as of right now. But I will go back for testing. I had to go into work and had some time while going into work. I just wanted to get anyone's opinion if possible, or maybe things to look for.

But really throws me off is it gives power but once I plug stuff in or turn on the lights that use a lot of juice it shuts off.

this is what I am using - I have to say great forum. This is first time I have come on here. Anyways I a Arc Breaker for regular residential that I installed on a older house. I have done some electric in the past so I know some things but I have never used the Arc Breaker.

Problem -

I can turn on the Arc Breaker it stays on just fine, will stay on for hours, and I can plug my cable modem into also a cheaper plug tester so far great!

However I utilitech can lighting, once I turn on the lighting with the wall switch the breaker trips. :( If I plug a cheap new Hampton bay light in any out let it goes, if I turn on other switches to the middle of the room with the power tester or my cable modem it does NOT TRIP.

So I'm looking for any help or thoughts. My only guess's are the breaker could be bad. Honestly it looks like it was used...? (or maybe they test them ) There was some sort of oil, or light residue on it and some lite wear it looks like. But maybe they test them from the factory? Also it felt loser than the other breakers too. (also there is a light hum when its on too)

Leds could be causing a issue, or light bulbs maybe from what i read? Maybe once so much juice is pulled from the line it detects the arc or something like that? I do not have a lot of stuff to test it with in the house as of right now. But I will go back for testing. I had to go into work and had some time while going into work. I just wanted to get anyone's opinion if possible, or maybe things to look for.

But really throws me off is it gives power but once I plug stuff in or turn on the lights that use a lot of juice it shuts off.

this is what I am using - Square D QO 20-Amp 1-Pole Combination Arc Fault Circuit Breaker

Item # 622868 Model # QO120PCAFIC

·
Licensed electrician
13,387 Posts
Sounds like a loose connection in part of the circuit involving the lights.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sounds like a loose connection in part of the circuit involving the lights.

Thank you for the quick response. That could possibly be it. But then what about the outlets too then? Because the outlets do work fine with the few electronics but doesn't with the one lamp, and one drill. And the one lamp is a newer Hampton bay lamp from home depot. The outlets work fine with the modem, and the outlet tester too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I had chance to try more electronics on my break. Heres what I found out anything with a low voltage it will not trip. However If I try a computer lamp. Sooo that being said anything with real low voltage works fine. Possibly the breaker might be bad?

This is the only arc breaker in the entire panel if that helps any.

·
Licensed electrician
13,387 Posts
The higher draw would create a larger arc and could cause the tripping. The Recep could be downstream of the poor connection .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found out what it was. I had a neutral white wire in my electrical coming from the arc breaker going to the neutral bar. Instead of the neutral white wire go straight to my load line. Its one of the pig tail free ones. So yea... did something stupid. Anyways thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I give up. Why are we doing this?

haha the popsicle one is pretty good. hey gotta start somewhere. I knew my pigtails and that sort of stuff wasn't crap. I have done over 1,000 outlets switches easy just never done a arch breaker. I misread the words load hot and neutral, after i had it hooked up came on here and reread the instructions its like oh yeaaa. Happy that its working fine. And this time I had a another electrician check my work that was different from the other one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts