DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im new here, Thanks for your thoughts!

I have an exterior wood furnace (wood doctor) that basically heats water that runs through my house and barn to heat concrete flooring.

The furnace itself is quite simple...a wood fire surrounded by 200gallons of water. There is a fan that force air into the fire. The fan is controlled by 2 aquastat. Fans starts when water temperature is lower than 160 and stop when it reaches 180. All of this is good.

...But!!! when I load at night the furnace, the fire eventually runs out, but the fan will continue forcing cold air into the furnace, cooling the water more quickly. My heating appliances (radiant flooring, fan coil) also continue to run....cooling my house when the water temperature goes below my room temperature.

....my challenge....I am trying to find some kind of aquastat that would check my system water temperature and kill everything when it reaches below 70F for example. With such a device, I could leave my appliance on at night knowing that I would suck evry BTU available and then close the system.

I only seem to find aquastat that work in the 100F+ range. Can anyone think of a workaround?

thanks
Nicolas

·
Administrator
41,913 Posts
First, do you have a mixing valve to bring the water temp down for the radiant loops. Shouldn't need 160° for a radiant loop. If not, set your current control to 120 on, 140 off. Should still provide plenty of heat, and use less wood over night.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably a good idea to reduce the thresholds. I do have a mixing valve.

I tried for example to run the water at 70F in the radiant pipes....but still, I cannot hold the fire all night long when it gets cold (live in Quebec...Windy 0 degree F is frequent) or when I have poor wood in warmer weather.

I will look into the Kele products

·
Registered
400 Posts
You could use a A419 temperature control made by Johnson Controls (approx. $60-80) it is adaptable for heating or cooling and temp range is -30-212F

1 - 7 of 7 Posts