DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 29 year old aquaglass jetted bath spa that has touch control (like a touch lamp) to turn on/off. Spa pump will not turn on anymore. When I last tried to use it, the pump came on for a few seconds when I turned on the main power switch, but did not touch the on/off control. Since then, touching on/off control does nothing.

I confirmed with MM that there is power going into the control box, no power coming out of the control box to the pump. Control box has on/off input and water level sensor input.

I suspect something gone bad inside the control box. I have not pulled it out to take a look. It is made by Worthington Electronics and model number is JT-1. I have attached a picture (hope the local link works!).

Google searches bring up nothing for Worthington or this part. I am just looking for pointers to a replacement or maybe someone with experience in fixing/troubleshooting the innards of this thing to give me some clues.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Hello, I have a 29 year old aquaglass jetted bath spa that has touch control (like a touch lamp) to turn on/off. Spa pump will not turn on anymore. When I last tried to use it, the pump came on for a few seconds when I turned on the main power switch, but did not touch the on/off control. Since then, touching on/off control does nothing.

I confirmed with MM that there is power going into the control box, no power coming out of the control box to the pump. Control box has on/off input and water level sensor input.

I suspect something gone bad inside the control box. I have not pulled it out to take a look. It is made by Worthington Electronics and model number is JT-1. I have attached a picture (hope the local link works!).

Google searches bring up nothing for Worthington or this part. I am just looking for pointers to a replacement or maybe someone with experience in fixing/troubleshooting the innards of this thing to give me some clues.
It seems that the company which made this (29 years ago) may have gone out of business or been absorbed by another company.

You could search for "spa bath pump controller" but when I searched on these words I found only complete "units" (i. e. Pumps and controllers)
While some of these have "electronic" touch controls, such as yours, most seem to have "Air Button" push buttons.

I suggest that your best option may be to replace the pump and its control.

However, I did locate an organisation selling spare parts which may be able to help you at http://www.spapartsshop.com/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your quick response. I did see that parts place during my online searching and will give them a call. I know I can replace the entire kit, but was hoping to see if I can repair what is broken. The pump seems like it is in great, almost new shape. It has been used sparingly over the years.

It will be tough to have to replace the on/off "switch" since it is a drop-in and it is finished all around it except for the access panel where the pump is. Unfortunately not close to the on/off switch. We'll see!

Thanks again for your insights!

·
Registered
47 Posts
It could be as simple as replacing an $1 electronic component. Or not. It seems to me your options are to get a replacement box or open it up. If you have zero knowledge of electronics it may be a waste of time, but sometimes even a visual (or olfactory) inspection can identify the failed component.

Failing capacitors often produce this reluctant power-on symptom.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Failing capacitors often produce this reluctant power-on symptom.
While the OP may or may not have the ability to diagnose faulty electronic components, 29 year old electrolytic capacitors are DEFINITELY likely to be US (Un-Servicible)
However, while any such components should be replaced (as a FIRST step), it is quite probable that there may be other problems existing in such an OLD piece of equipment.
If one cannot do it ones self, the "work" involved in "chasing" such faults could cost significant money, which may be better spent in replacing the devices concerned with "up to date" devices.

There comes a point at which one should "cut one's losses" and replace obsolete equipment!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Everyone for the input. After more searching online I found US Parts Center (uspartscenter.com) and talked to Rod there. He said the worthington controls have not been made for "decades". He suggested a new replacement control and on/off button:

https://uspartscenter.com/products/litestreme-bathtub-control

This looks like it will work and it will upgrade my control to the latest. At $150 USD, that is a reasonable price to make the spa tub work again.

I have just ordered it and I will report back to let you know how it goes and close the loop on this...

Thanks again!

msf44

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi msf44,
I am curious how did you fix your AquaGlass Bath Jetted Spa Pump Control Box?
I have the same issue and not able to find a control box.
Any clue or suggestion from you is highly apprecaited.
I know it is chat of 2016, which I am opening again.
please respond.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi nrcscot, wow, it's been a while since I thought about this. Follow the link in my post right before yours. It is a link to the new control box I purchased. It had a new touch on/off control and I was able to screw mine off and snake the wire for the new one via the access panel I had in the wall behind the tub. The new control had standard 3-prong plugs for input (from the main power source) and output (to the pump). The original/old setup had the pump hardwired right into the old control box along with the main power. Luckily there was a junction box right there at the access panel so I converted that to a receptacle outlet. I also had to put a plug end (male) on the pump power wire that had been wired to the old control box. Once that was done, I plugged the new controller into the outlet I installed (for main power) and I plugged the pump into the controller output plug (female). I also connected up the new on/off touchpad switch to the controller and put the low water sensor spades on the controller. It all worked fine. Everything was right behind the access panel behind the wall where the tub was. I can't show you pictures because we sold the house about a year ago and I never took any pictures of the completed work. However, it was pretty easy. if you don't do electrical, just have an electrician do the plug stuff. Let me know if you have any questions. Hope this was clear enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nrcscot, I was able to find some pictures I took before I fixed it. One pic is looking straight into my access panel. You see the switch towards the right. That is a cut-off switch for main power to the original controller. That is the junction box I told you about. I converted that switch into a plug receptacle. The pump was hardwired into the old controller box. I disconnected that and put a plug end on the pump. Another pic is the tub itself. the wall with the access panel is on the right of this picture. The last pic is the old on/off touchpad that I had to replace because they are controller specific. This just screwed out easily and I then removed the existing wire to it and used the new on/off touchpad and wire that came with the new controller. I mounted the new controller (which is very small compared to the old one) on one of the studs you saw in the picture looking into the access panel. Hope this further helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi msf44,
Thank you so much for your response.
my jet tube has similar installation like that of yours and similar aquaglass on off swith on the tub. The control switch is accessible but not the pump nor on off switch on the Tub itself ( This on off switch is located other side of the tub close to wall and I can not reach there) Pump is difficult to access.
Did you change the switch to LITESTREME, Bathtub Control with NEW Button?
I will try to go over your posting and will try to change this or take a help from an electrician to do it.
Thanks again for your help.
I am in Michigan. My number is 248-390-0147. If I run in to problems can I reach you while doing the repair myself.
I appreciate your help. You are very help full and considerate.
scot

·
Registered
6 Posts
I mean cant reach "on off" switch from inside the receptacle. I can reach from the tub. but not underneath the switch through the cavity or hole in the platform.
scot

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes, I used the new controller on/off button (touchpad) that came with the new controller. You don't actually need access to the pump itself. as long as you can get to the electrical wire from the pump that goes to the old control box. Cut it off at the control box (which you said you have access to) and put a plug end onto it. Then plug it into the new controller output female plug. The old on/off button unscrewed and came off from the top of the tub. It just unscrews. I did not need to go under and get access to it, same with putting in the new on/off button. I just needed to get the new wire from the on/off button to the new controller. I used a hanger wire to grab it and pull it over to where the access panel was and new controller. Where-ever your main power feed is coming into the old controller, if you don't have a junction box (switch) like I had, then take the electrical wire providing the main feed to the controller, cut it off at the controller, and convert that into a normal outlet receptacle. Then you can plug the new controller's main input feed (male three prong) into the outlet. Abandon the old controller in place like I did. I would advise using an electrician for your electrical work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you so much.
I will engage an electrician and use your notes to get the new controller in place.
Challenge could be taking the on off switch out from the tub so to access the wire.
the on off switch is similar to that of yours.
all the conncetions and the photoes you posted are exactly similar to that of mine too.
pl confirm the new controller you bought is
LITESTREME, Bathtub Control with NEW Button?. I found this in uspartscenter and spaparts as well.
I will buy the same and try.
I appreciate your help very much.
Scot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi msf44

Could you please guide me whether you bought the controller - LITESTREME, Bathtub Control with NEW Button? or did you change the make and model of controller?

And also did you buy from USpartscenter or SPA parts or any one else?
your advice means a lot to me.

I am looking to change this ASAP.

I appreciate your time and guidance very much.
Regards
nrcscot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dear msf44.
Thanks for your valuable guidance so far.
I dont want to annoy you for asking again.
Could you please guide me on the controller you put it on successfully.
Is it " LITESTREME, Bathtub Control with NEW Button" or some thing else.
I appreciate your time and help.
nrcscot

1 - 17 of 17 Posts