DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Aprilaire 600 Humidifier that was already installed when I purchased my home but has never been operational since I have been here. I am now trying to get it going and it isn't working.
I have checked the wiring and it seems to be correct. I have also checked to make sure there is no clog in the water supply. Finally I have verified that there is 24v going into the humidistat but that power never gets to the solenoid valve no matter where the dial is on the humidistat and no matter what part of the heat cycle the furnace is on.
I know it worked for the previous owner because the water panel is full of mineral deposits.
DO you think the humidistat itself went bad?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you. valve works so I guess I need to replace humidistat. only problem is that the new aprilaire humidistats have a more complex wiring scheme than this old manual humidistat I have

·
Registered
567 Posts
thank you. valve works so I guess I need to replace humidistat. only problem is that the new aprilaire humidistats have a more complex wiring scheme than this old manual humidistat I have
You dont have to buy an aprilaire humidistat and if you search online, you'll find many different types of manually operated humdistats with a simple two wire connection.
Aprilaire even sells the manual one that you need.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I disconnected the humidistat and hooked up a simple 15a wall switch for the solenoid valve.

I have it wired so that with the wall switch on, the valve is open while the furnace is ignited rather than when the blower is on.

I am using the saddle valve to throttle the water flow and control the humidity level. Its been around 10% RH inside the house all winter without the humidifier working. Now I've got it pretty steady around 25%

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I guess your planning on ordering another humidistat? As far as regulating water with the saddle valve, you'll do more harm than good to the pad inside, as having dry spots and not keeping the pad saturated will cause it to build up mineral deposits much faster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts