DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help wiring this humidifier. My solenoid is powered off of the furnace disconnect switch. My furnace is a Carrier, 1998 vintage. My humidistat is the manual one. It only has two terminals. I’m not using the outdoor humidistat or humidity control from the thermostat. I just want it to run when the heat comes on. I appreciate the help.

·
Administrator
41,846 Posts
Need more info. Not sure what you mean powered off the disconnect switch. Is the solenoid 120 volts, or 24 volts.

What brand and model number is the humidifier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Transformer is wired from the disconnect switch. 120 volts in/24 out. It's not powered from circuit in the furnace. Humidifier is April aire 600m. The humidistat has two terminal connections. My original post said the solenoid was powered off the disconnect. I meant the transformer.

·
Administrator
41,846 Posts
One wire from transformer to humidistat, one wire from humidistat to solenoid, one wire from solenoid back to transformer.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hi, post 4 will only control the the solenoid, is that what you want, or do you want the humidifier to come on with the heat? Do you have the current sensing relay to tell the humidifier when the fan is running? see owner manual for the 600 M install.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So how does the solenoid get its signal for open/close? Doesn't it need to know that the furnace is calling for heat? Thanks for your help.
Hi, post 4 will only control the the solenoid, is that what you want, or do you want the humidifier to come on with the heat? Do you have the current sensing relay to tell the humidifier when the fan is running? see owner manual for the 600 M install.
I only want the humidifier on when the heat is called for by the thermostat. I don't have the current sensing relay.

·
Administrator
41,846 Posts
Get a current sensing relay, and use it to detect when the inducer is running. That way the humidifier will only run when there is a call for heat.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hi, that maybe possible but best to use the current sensor on the blower, the current transformer in your system now may not handle the added load of the solenoid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts