DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a humidifier hooked up to our furnace that I'm hoping someone might have some info on. The house seems really dry and I'm not sure that this is a) working, and b) set up correctly. The online manuals reference a control that looks a lot newer than this one and has a digital readout, I can't find any manuals for ours:

It's currently about 30 degrees outside here in New England. Any ideas what I should set this to? And also any ideas on things I can do to see if it's working at all?

Many thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
In the pics you posted, you have a humidistat manual knob position set to near -5 degrees Farenheit. If it's 30 degrees outside, move knob to 30 degrees which on alternate scale equates to 40% humidity setting.

When/if outside weather changes significantly, you are expected to adjust your humidifier manually. If windows get moisure on inside, lower the humidistat.

OUTDOOR TEMP/RECOMMENDED HUMIDITY
40F 45%
30F 40%
20F 35%
10F 30%
0F 25%
-10F 20%
-20F 15%

As last poster stated, make sure water is being fed and that a media is in place. I believe these units require a drain as well because not all water stays in furnace. If you have no water being drained, you likely don't have water being supplied.

http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/humidifiers/aprilaire/600.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks to both of you for the information. I took a look at the filter and it is bone-dry, so I guess this means there is no water getting to it. The valve that feeds the pipe to the unit is open so not sure where to go from there...

Thanks again.

·
AKA HVACTECHFW
2,426 Posts
there is a screen in the inlet side of the solenoid valve and an orfice in the water line leaving the valve. check to see these are clean.

TIP use a wood screw to remove the screen in the valve by removing the water line (of course, after shutting the water line off) and screwing it into the screen a little bit (not far) and then pull on screw.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great! They were all clogged up, it's now running like a champ. Thank you very much. The filter is bone dry and caked up with white deposits ( calcium? ). Should I replace it? Or maybe take it out and soak it in water?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
You really need to replace that water panel annually. You can get them at the Lowes, Home Despot, probably some other places.... Buy a few to keep around and you'll be ready to go next time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.