DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm painting my front door ("why in December?" you might ask. "Seemed like it'd be quick", I'd reply. Sigh...) So, after a great deal of work, I had it patched, primed, sanded, etc. And then I sprayed it with BM paint and my new paint sprayer (not airless, just one of the guns from Home Depot, but not the entry-level one... this is at least a little more advanced). The first layer was beautiful. I was so excited!

Then I did the second coat. But towards the bottom of the door, the sprayer started sputtering because I'd run low on paint. (Despite multiple assurances, apparently a quart was not quite enough paint). So... I scraped in the last ounces of paint and tried to finish the door. Bad idea. Worked for a few strokes, then more sputtering. I smoothed it out with a roller, cursing myself.

But then... an hour later we checked on it, and i guess I ended up applying it WAY too thick at the bottom, and the paint was sagging terribly. We smoothed it out with the roller, just to even out the big globs of paint. But it looks terrible now. Just terrible. The top 2/3 of the door is beautiful.

So, my question: how best to deal with this? Will simply letting it dry and then sanding the horrible, awful bottom part work? Or, upon spraying a new coat, will there be a clear transition between the nice smooth top finish and where I'd sanded the bottom? Am I going to have to sand everything? Or--gasp--strip this whole thing down and start from zero?

Next time I'll buy more paint--no more trying to squeak by. But right now, I'll take any advice on how to save this door. I was so excited... and so close! Thank you in advance for any help!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Water based paint? I would try to shave the runs off before sanding, use a razor and cut them off as flush as possible. If its an alkyd paint, sanding or wet sanding. Yeah, I would sand the whole door for uniformity probably.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, water-based. Okay... i guess sanding the whole thing isn't THAT bad, at least compared to taking it down to wood again. In my (not vast) experience, relatively fresh paint sands up pretty gummy... any hints for dealing with that as I try to sand it all down?Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Yeah that's the thing, sanding acrylic paint is kinda like sanding your shoe sole. That's the advantage to cutting out the runs as much as possible. You can probably salvage the paint job on the door to a decent level by just sanding/shaving out the runs out and re coating. To get it back to "sweet" might take more effort.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I recommend wet sanding. AS latex based paint takes around 30 days to cure. This will allow you to wet sand and soften the paint. It wont come off all gummy, IT will actually sand down smooth with a lot less effort than dry sanding. Cutting off the sags will work, But can leave a small edge where u cut it out if its not perfectly flush. I recommend you just wet sand than repaint.

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Don't know where you are. But leave it alone until warm weather. If where you are is cold enough it will not allow the paint to skim over correctly this will allow the paint to sag and run because it's taking too long to dry. It sounds like you have enough paint on it to protect it till it warms up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts