DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a message a while back asking for help with choosing a concrete driveway sealer. Based off the feedback, this is what I am thinking about going with. This is the only thing I can find locally that is oil based and has high acrylic solids.

I'm curious if anyone has used this product before? If so, did it work well? The reviews on the website are good but they almost seem fake (like they were written by someone from the company)

I'm also very open to other suggestions. I don't mind to fork out the extra cash for something that works well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have been looking at sealers myself - several weeks ago for my new garage slab and now for new sidewalks in the backyard. I would shy away from products at Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc. Go to a concrete supplier. I even tried Sherwin Williams in the Chicago area - the three I called or visited were clueless.

I am using V-Seal 102 for my sidewalks. Since I am in Chicago, I think it will help with the freezing temps we get in the winter. I used Silencure for slab and it turned our nice. However, I should have used a different sealer sold by the same company - it would have dried much faster.

I sampled with 2500 LV-UV by Surfboat, but it is too slippery when wet for sidewalks - another this to look for.

I really like the penetrating sealers. I also suggest you call the manufacturer directly. Everyone I have called has been helpful. The cost is no significantly more than those for Home Depot, etc. and last a lot longer.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
know this is a surprise BUT apron/vest stores carry stuff that's easy to apply & is less expensive than the good pro mtls - unfortunately that even includes sher-wms,,, they own all the stuff in their stores but most of them just are clerks who can punch buttons for the pigment dispensers :whistling2:

google up euclid, sonneborn (basf), etc,,, to address slippery, add sharks grip (sher-wms),,, ixnay on ANY oil OR water based sealer,,, for best value & performance, get something that's 100%solids IF you can & is thinned w/solvent such as xylene

addressing costs - pro mtls SHOULD be cost base for comparison by performance, NOT $,,, look for value,,, realize h/o's & diy'ers time isn't worth much but if you're resealing every 3 mos, you'll soon decide your time's worth more :yes: i wonder why most always think of apron/vest stores 1st ? :huh: we buy very little @ either - work gloves, decent shovels, pvc fittings & pipe for bsmt wtrproofing systems & that's it ,,, if we want GOOD materials & knowledgeable suppliers, we buy from pro suppliers :thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts