DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a tankless water heater?

Are those any good?

How long before the hot water runs out? Like can you take a hour long shower with them?

TIA

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I installed a gas fired Bosch tankless water heater a couple three years ago - it works great. I can take a virtually endless shower, easily fill a large soaking tub, etc.

·
Household Handyman
2,480 Posts
No I don't. A friend of mine had one put in their house last year. An LP gas fired unit, Rannai(?) brand and they say they (3 in household) cannot run it out. This is now their only LP gas appliance and they state that their gas usage is "not that bad". Makes me interested for sure.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Installed a Bosch around Christmas. We installed their biggest NG unit available. Says it will run up to 3 appliances. It works really well. Takes a little longer to get hot water on the 3rd floor, but its not a big deal to adjust to it. Also, if you are showering and someone uses hot water at another place in the house, you might notice a change in temperature until the unit adjusts the heat to the flow. Small but notable issues. If you are researching the price, consider another approximately $400 added to the installation cost for the stainless exhaust pipes and the copper you will need. It takes up much less space then our old 40G tank and hangs on the wall, freeing up much needed space in a storage room.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hi- we installed an electric tankless water heater (most are gas). The idea is that you'll never run out of hot water (just don't run out of gas if LP). Electric ones are best for small applications (cabin or small home) or in places where the incoming water temp is fairly warm to begin with. Ours is a Steibel-Eltron brand and it lives up to its claim of providing up to 5 GMP of hot water. If the incoming water temp is cold, it does not heat as hot. Gas is better for colder incoming water or for more GPMs. One could do a solar pre-heater. this is something i want to investigate too.

·
Chicago, IL
1,037 Posts
Others may have been aware of this, but it was news to me, the tax credit on qualifying tankless units is now 30% of cost, up to $1,500. (For the record, I don't sell, install or service any type of water heater).

Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency

1 - 9 of 9 Posts