DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my own system in and it has been running nicely. I have to add a second return on my second floor because the unit originally did both floors and had a second return downstairs. It also will be shy of the 400cfm per ton if I dont. For my new unit I was thinking about adding a second return to the living room because my air flow calculations put the existing return at just bairly enough airflow. I was reading today where some contractors have started putting returns in every room. This of course would be minus kitchens, bathrooms, closets, and small rooms. I was thinking living room, family room, and each bedroom. I know my bedroom now will get stuffy with the door closed and two people plus a dog sleeping in there all night. Is there any downside to this besides the need for either a central filter or a filter on each box? Does anyone have this setup and like it?

·
Experienced
2,976 Posts
A simple principal, if there is no return the supply suffers as a closed room will pressurize and eventually the only air being provide by the supply is the air leakage from the room.

So yes it is common as well as good installation practice to install returns in all the rooms you mentioned.

Mark

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Without returns and carpeted floors, you'll get staining of the carpet at the doors leading to the rest of the house as the undercut is the #1 area for air to escaped the pressurized room. The carpet then begins to act like an air filter and collects all the airborne dirt and debris.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The only places I see that do NOT have a return in every room are apartments.

My house has only one return under the furnace on the second floor.

·
Registered
615 Posts
In more than 30 years I never installed a single new house with a single return.
The example I usually give is for you to take a soda bottle and try to blow into it.Then cut a hole in it and try again.
If you want to replace the old air in a room with new conditioned air,you must supply a place for the old air to go.
People get mixed up with suppling the blower with enough air and forget about suppling comfort to each room.
The better contractors are now using computer programs to not only size the equipment to each house but also to size the ductwork including return and to size and place the registers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well then my mind is made up. While putting the finishing touches on this new unit and un-fracking the old one I will add even more returns. In all of the houses I have been inside of in the Richmond area I can only think of one that had returns in more than one location away from the air handler. When I asked the guy about putting an extra one in his bedroom he said that he was the builder and specified the HVAC contractor put a return in his bedroom.

I think the hardest place for me to add returns will be on my first floor because of the hardwood floors and walls. I think there is space under the staircase that I can run some ductwork and put another return in my living room.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts